This document explains how instructors can show their course summary tool on their Canvas homepage.
How to Create a New Home Page and Link to Course Summary
At UW-Madison, syllabi are created and viewed on AEFIS. One way to show the contents of your syllabus on your Canvas homepage is by creating a new homepage and linking to your Course Summary.
- Create a new Canvas page.
- Add introductory content to the page and provide a link to the Course Summary. Note that the Course Summary will not appear in the right toolbar for internal links, so you will need to add it as a hyperlink.
- Set your new Canvas page as your Front Page.
- Go to Settings and set your course home page to Pages Front Page.
Syllabus Error Message
Prior to UW-Madison hosting syllabi on AEFIS, there was a syllabus tool enabled in Canvas. Students may see an error message if:
- The Syllabus was set as the course home page.
- The course contains direct links to the Syllabus (i.e. users have access to the URL).
In these scenarios, you will see a warning banner stating "This tool is deprecated. Please use the Course Summary tool." .