HS IRBs News July 2019
Health Sciences and Minimal Risk IRBs, IRB News/Volume 11, Number 6, July 2019
New IRB Staff Teams
As part of continuing effort to improve efficiency and customer service, the HS IRBs office has implemented a new team structure with dedicated team leads. While study teams should continue to use our point of contact phone service and asktheirb email account for general questions and to reach out to their assigned staff reviewer with specific questions about their application, team leads are available to help with any questions or concerns that cannot be resolved by working with the individual staff reviewer assigned to their application. The teams and leads are:
- Exempt and expedited review team: Monica Esquibel (lead), Lara Curkeet, and Sherry Holcomb
- Post-approval team (changes, continuing reviews, reportable events): Catherine Rogers (lead), Jessie Johnson, Anna Martin, and Joscelyn Stangel
- Full initial review team: Rebecca Hoffman (lead), John Cejka, Jennifer Fenne, Kendall Holley, Jackie Lee, and Jacob Rome
Upcoming Training Sessions
- The Reliance and Navigation Team (RELIANT) will be offering a webinar on serving as the reviewing IRB for collaborative and multisite studies. In addition, we will be discussing the revised Common Rule’s single IRB review mandate, which goes into effect in January 2020. The presentation will be held August 15th from 1PM -2PM. Please register through the OTM catalog listing available here.
- “Understanding the Common Rule and the HS IRBs Submission Process” covers the Common Rule and what the IRB is looking for in their review, the IRB's review process, how to navigate the ARROW application system, and resources available to assist researchers with their submissions. The next presentation will be Wednesday, August 21st from 1PM to 2PM in room 1309 of the Health Sciences Learning Center. Please register through the OTM Catalog available here.
The Professional Research Education Program (PREP) also will be offering the following sessions:
- “Working with Minors in Research” will be held August 6th from 12PM-1PM in 1335 HSLC
- “Study Recruitment: What Do ‘Real People’ Recommend” will be held September 12th from Noon-1PM in 1335 HSLC.
Registration for all PREP sessions is available through the Office of Talent Management catalog.
Improving Funding Review Processes: Congruency Update
Effective August 3rd, the IRB offices on campus will no longer be reviewing grants for congruency with the IRB application. Recent revisions to the Common Rule no longer require IRBs to review grants for congruency and OVCRGE leadership is leveraging this change to begin streamlining the IRBs’ funding review process. Instead of the IRB assessing congruency, new tools in WISPR and ARROW will allow principal investigators (PIs) to confirm congruency with minimal effort on their part. Please see Improving IRB Review Processes for Funding: Congruency Update for details about this streamlined approach to funding reviews.