Carillon / University of Wisconsin Memorial Carillon
Phone (608) 263-3088 -- Cindy Statz, Facility Manager
1160 Observatory Dr.
Sewell Social Sciences Building
Madison, WI 53706
Designed by Arthur Peabody, the UW-Madison carillon was originally dedicated in 1936 with 25 bells. Additions and replacements resulted in the current configuration of 56 bells ranging in size from 15 to 6,823 pounds.
The UW-Madison carillon is one of three in Wisconsin, the others being at Marquette University in Milwaukee and First Evangelical Lutheran Church in Green Bay.
Please note (Sept 1, 2016): Long-time University Carillonneur Lyle Anderson has retired, and plans for future concerts are uncertain at this time.
- About Carillonneur Lyle Anderson: http://www.music.wisc.edu/faculty/lyle-anderson/
- Entry from The Buildings of the University of Wisconsin (published by former UW student Jim Feldman in 1997): https://www2.fpm.wisc.edu/ppnew/featurebldg/pdf/carillon.pdf
- Information from Lakeshore Nature Preserve website: http://lakeshorepreserve.wisc.edu/visit/carillon.htm