Learn@UW - Archiving Discussion Posts
This document shows how to save Discussion posts as a PDF file or Microsoft Word document.
- Login to Learn@UW to access the course you wish to edit, and select Assignments from the navigation bar, then Discussions.
- Select (click) the name of the Forum you'd wish to archive posts from, and then the Topic name.
- Make sure that your Message List Style is set to "Grid Style."
- Click the Settings link in the top right corner.
- Scroll down to the "Message List Style" section and click the radio button for "Grid Style." Save.
- The maximum number of threads you can view at a time in Grid Style is 20. If there are more than 20 threads in your topic, make sure you print/archive all the pages, not just the first one. (Note: While you can only view/print 20 threads at a time, that restriction does not apply to posts that are a reply to a thread and not the topic. In other words, as long as you have 20 or fewer threads under a topic, you can print off all of the threads and posts within that topic on a single page)
- At the top of the list of posts, to the left of the headings is a checkbox. Select it to select all messages on that page. The background of each message title, name, etc will turn light blue. Then select the 'Print" icon at the top of the page.
- A window will appear with the text from all posts. (Note: The new window orders the posts in reverse order starting from the bottom of the screen)
If you wish to copy and paste all messages to a Microsoft Word document, this "Printable View" window is a pretty good place to copy the messages.
- Click the Print button.
- In the print window that appears, there should be an option for printing to PDF. Typically there is a button labeled "PDF" in the bottom left corner of the window. Click that button for options to save as a PDF (or send the contents to another application as a PDF).