This document describes how to connect to ResearchDrive storage from a Apple computer.
If you work with restricted data then you will need to consult your local IT support for assistance.
- Any UW–Madison workstation used to access restricted data must be maintained and supported by trained IT staff to ensure they are secure and not vulnerable to malware.
- Access to restricted data from any other workstation by UW faculty or staff is prohibited.
- A specific set of scans has been developed by the campus Office of Cybersecurity. These scans must be run and the resulting report submitted as part of the request for the creation of a ResearchDrive account configured for restricted data. ResearchDrive account requestors should consult with their departmental IT staff or designated HIPAA Security Coordinator to assist in the security scans.
ResearchDrive storage accounts are named based on the PI's NetID such as smb://research.drive.wisc.edu/[PI NetID] but collaborators will login to a ResearchDrive account with their own NetID credentials.
- Replace references to [PI NetID] with the PI's NetID username.
- Replace references to [NetID] or [NetID password] with your NetID username and password.
- ResearchDrive accounts working with Restricted Data use the naming convention smb://restricted.drive.wisc.edu/[PI NetID]
- If you are off campus or using wifi then you will need to connect to WiscVPN. before using ResearchDrive.
- Open Finder.
- Click Go > Connct to Server or use the ⌘K keyboard shortcut.
- Enter smb://research.drive.wisc.edu/[PI NetID]. Optionally click the + button to save to your Favorite Servers list. Click the Connect button to continue.
- Click Connect As: Registered User.
- Enter Name: [NetID] and Password: [NetID password]
- Check the box labeled Remember this password in my Key Chain if desired.
- Click Connect.