An overview and step-by-step guide to viewing and editing your preferred name in MyUW.
OverviewYou can identify yourself within the university, including in some official records, with a preferred first and/or middle name (not last name) that differs from your legal name.
Examples of when students might choose to use a preferred name include:
- You prefer to be called by a nickname instead of your legal name (e.g., “Jackie” instead of “Jacqueline”)
- You would rather not have your middle name display as part of your commonly used campus name
- You have chosen a name that reflects your gender identity
- You are an international student who prefers to use a specific name while studying in the United States
For more information about legal and preferred name, please see read more here.
- Login to MyUW.
- Click on the Student Personal Information tile.
Note: If you don't see this tile on your home MyUW page, use the search bar at the top the find the correct page.
- If you have not previously added a preferred name, you will be informed no name has been set up yet.
Click Change to add a preferred name.
- You may edit the first name field, and edit/add/remove in the middle name field. Characters are limited to upper and lowercase alphabetical characters, hyphens, and spaces.
Your preferred name will appear exactly as you enter it. If you type “BUCKY” in all uppercase letters as your preferred name, campus systems will print your name in all uppercase letters.
Your last name will auto-populate. Changes for your last name are limited to the following: capitalization, spacing, apostrophes and hyphens.
Click the Save button when done.
- The change is now pending and will refresh overnight.
If you would like to change or delete a preferred name you have previously added, select Change or Delete.
After you make any changes, the request will refresh overnight.