This document provides a high-level introduction to UW-Madison Google Groups.
Google Groups is a free communication and collaboration service that gives you the ability to create the following:
- Email lists
- Web forum (discussion board)
- Q&A forum
- Shared inbox
- Manage group access to shared Google files (ex: Docs, Sheets, Shared Drive)
When you create a Google Group, the group’s email address will have the following name format: email@example.com .
- Not owned by a single UW-Madison G Suite account
- Not affected by account deactivation
- Can be used to create permissions to manage group access to Google App files (ex: Docs, Shared Drive, etc)
- Allows group moderation
- Allows membership to include both UW-Madison (internal) and non-UW-Madison (external) email addresses
The maximum number of members you can add to a Google Group has not been published by Google. Currently, we have yet to reach a maximum number in our testing.
View additional information about Google Group's policies and limits here.
- Group Name - Enter the name, not email address, of your group name (ex: bucky_support; not firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Members - Enter one email address per line.
- View additional resources on how to manage a group below.
You can email your Google Group at email@example.com to start collaborating with your colleagues. When you email your Google Group, that message will be delivered to the following inboxes:
Google Group Archive inbox
- Note: The archive feature may not be enabled by default. Learn how to view your Google Group’s archive feature status.
- Archiving must be enabled to receive a copy of all messages sent to the Google Group.
- Enabling archiving is beneficial when troubleshooting message delivery issues.
Mailbox associated with the email address used to add member to the Google Group
- Message delivery will depend on the member’s Google Group email subscription setting (ex: daily notifications, email digest)
- Message delivery can be affected by the member's email settings such as rules, filters, spam/junk, etc.
Suppressing "out of office" messages
Internal email address - out of office messages sent from an @wisc.edu address (ex: firstname.lastname@example.org) will be suppressed.
External email address - out of office messages sent from non @wisc.edu email addresses (ex: email@example.com) will not be suppressed and will be sent to the Google Group.
- Transition from WiscList to Google Groups
- Compare distribution lists
- Distinguish between personal Google account and UW-Madison G Suite account
- Switch between UW-Madison account and personal Google account
- Create a Google Group
- Add members
- Add multiple members
- Remove members
- Manage member permissions
- Approve or block new posts (moderation)
- Send email to a Google Group
- Manage email subscription
- Find and join a Google Group
- Unsubscribe from a Google Group
- Google Groups Training and Help