Creating a video from a script has a number of advantages including that you can create captions from your script to make it more accessible to all users. Upload your video to Kaltura MediaSpace as described in Kaltura - Uploading Files to Kaltura Mediaspace (UW-Madison). You must be the owner of a media item or a co-editor to create captions from a script. Your script file should be in text (.TXT) format. Additional information is available in Kaltura's document Requesting and Ordering Captions and Enrichment Services through the KMS/KAF - REACH v2:
- Launch Chrome or Firefox, go to Kaltura MediaSpace, and login: mediaspace.wisc.edu. If you need more information on how to log in to MediaSpace please see Kaltura - How to Log in to Kaltura MediaSpace (UW-Madison) .
- Click on your name or the person silhouette icon in the upper right corner and click My Media:
- Search for or scroll until you find the media you want to generate captions from a script. Click on the thumbnail of the media entry.
- Click the Actions drop-down menu and select Caption & Enrich:
- The Order Captions & Enrichment Services
options will display underneath your media item. Select your options. There are drop-down menu
- Service - select Machine
- Source Media Language - select the appropriate language
- Feature - select Alignment
- Click the Upload Txt button. An Upload Attachment window will open.
- Click the Select File button and locate your script in text (.TXT) format.
- Add a Title and Description and click Save.
- The Order Captions & Enrichment Services window will update with the filename, title, and description of the text file you uploaded. Click the Submit button.
- The Existing Requests will update to show your alignment pending request order. It will eventually change to processing and eventually completed. You will also receive an email notification that your alignment request is done processing.
- After the script alignment has completed you will need to show the captions. To show your captions click the Actions drop-down menu and select Edit:
- Click the Captions tab.
- Your aligned caption will be listed with the language you previously selected:
Click the pencil icon / edit function and update the label for your captions. You should still review and edit aligned captions to ensure their accuracy.
Once your captions are reviewed for accuracy and the captions are labeled appropriately, publish your captions by clicking the Show on Player icon on the far right to display captions to users.
The complete list of actions you can take on a caption file include from left to right:
- Set as Default - Sets the caption as the default caption for a video.
- Edit - Edit the language and the caption label that displays to viewers. If you click the Edit icon, it will change to a Save icon which you will need to click after editing the language or label for a caption.
- Delete - Delete the caption from your media.
- Download - Download the caption file in .SRT format.
- Show on Player - Shows the caption as an option for users to display on a video. Aligned captions are not shown by default so users don't see inaccurate captions. Once you've clicked this the icon will change to a Don't Show on Player icon.
- You may need to refresh your browser window to get the
CC button to display on the Kaltura media player. The CC (for Closed
Captions)button in the lower right to display the closed captions during
playback. Click on CC to display the closed caption options and select English (or the appropriate language) to display them: