How to pick a headset that will work with campus applications and software
For departmental customers
You can purchase Cisco Jabra headsets through Shop@UW. Search for "Jabra" in the search box to find them. Due to high demand, they might be out of stock.
For other faculty, staff & students
- We recommend a USB or Bluetooth headset. USB is probably the more reliable option and may have better sound quality. Many laptops will not work correctly with headsets with a single or dual 3.5mm connection (headphone plug).
- You should pick an option with a moveable microphone arm for better sound quality.
- Recommended manufacturers are Logitech, Plantronics, Cisco, Sennheiser.
Having trouble finding a headset?
If these models are not available, here are some alternatives you might already have at home:
- USB or Bluetooth headphones with a microphone will work in a pinch but sound quality may be lower than desired.
- USB headsets for PlayStation and Xbox should work with Windows machines and potentially Macs as well.
- Earbuds with a mic and a USB-C connector will also suffice, assuming your computer has a USB-C port.
Speaking of a microphone...
If sound quality is important, it may be better to choose a dedicated microphone. The Blue microphone series is ideal for this sort of use. You can combine it with whatever headphones you like.