Submitting a Scanning Request - Curriculum Boxes
This procedure is specifically for submitting a request to scan slides for the Curriculum Boxes. Note: Unless the submitter requests otherwise on this form, we will only scan one section from a biopsy slide containing multiple sections.
Start by opening the slide scan request form in your web browser.
- From the "Request Type" drop down menu, select "Education".
- From the "Conference" drop down menu, select the appropriate curriculum box. (ex. "Tubular Gut Week 1 Box 1").
- Verify that the information in the contact fields is correct.
- Enter the current date in the "Conference Date" field.
- Enter any notes specific to this request for the scanner operator in the "Notes" field. (for example, “We need new taxonomic strings for slides 5 and 9")
- Specify whether it's ok for the scanner operator to clean the slides with alcohol by clicking either "yes" or "no for the " Clean Slides w/ Alcohol" field. Be aware that cleaning the slides with alcohol will remove any marker on slide. Also be aware that if we can only dry wipe the slide, it may still be dirty and the resulting scans may not look as good.
You must fill out the information for each individual slide you wish to have scanned. One line = one slide. If you have more than 10 slides in your request and so require more lines on which to enter their information, you can click the "Add Slides" button at the bottom of the form. This will add 5 more lines to the request form.
- In the "Case" drop down box, select the number that corresponds with the slide's position in the curriculum box. The taxonomy fields are triggered when you fill out the "Case" field. You will see them appear directly below this field.
- Slide ID: IMPORTANT DO NOT LEAVE BLANK! Enter the text that is on the slide's label in the "Slide ID" field. If you do not enter something in the "Slide ID" field, the system will not save the request for this slide. Please be sure that the slide is de-identified prior to submitting it for scanning, even if it is from another institution. All patient identifying information must be invisible. Because the slide may contain information pertinent to its position in the curriculum box, we will not cover up the slide label before scanning it.
- In the "Comments" field, enter anything you wish to have associated with this slide in Aperio eSlide Manager. This field will be copied to the slide's "Comments" field in Aperio exactly as written. Please do not free text in the diagnosis, as this will be appended to the slide via the taxonomic string.
- The "Dx" (diagnosis) field should be left blank because this information will be entered as the slide's taxonomic string.
- The "Mag" (magnification) field defaults to 20x. You only need to change it if you need 5x or 40x instead. Please remember that scanning slides at 40x takes about 3 times as long as 20x, so only request 40x when appropriate.
- The "Notes for Scan Operator" field should be used for any information specific to this slide that you need to convey to the scanner operator. (Eg. "only scan circled portion")
- Fill out the taxonomy information for this specific slide. Instructions on this are in the document Aperio Scanning Request - Entering Taxonomic Strings. Note that it is mandatory to enter the taxonomic string for each slide. Slides will not be entered into the residency education folder on Aperio without a taxonomic string.
Once all of the above steps have been completed and you've verified that the information you have entered is correct, click the "Submit Request" button at the bottom of the form to submit it. Both you and the scanner operators will receive an email indicating the request has been submitted. Place the slides to be scanned in the "Aperio" mailbox in Surgical Pathology, and a scanner operator will come by to pick it up and scan them. You will be notified via email when the scanning is complete, and the slides will be returned to your mailbox.