Topics Map > Desktop > Security & Storage
Create ID For Globus Access
As an external collaborator, you must forward your email address to the principal investigator with whom you are working. Once we have that, we can begin the process of granting you access to the storage device for the data.
Please use your corporate email address. If you don't have one, or corporate policy forbids using your email in this way, use of a personal email address is permitted. However, it will have to be a Google/Gmail address.
To get started, click on the access link sent to you from "Globus Notification". You will want to keep this email/link as you will need it for future connections to the PI's storage system
- Clicking on the link the first time should take you to this page. Click on the "Use Globus ID to sign in" link.
- Click on the "Need a Globus ID" link.
- Fill in the account form.
- The system will detect if your chosen username is already taken. If it is, it will give a few suggestions but you will have to select something else in this case.
- Passwords should
- Contain a mix of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters
- Be at least 16 characters long
- Not contain your username or any part of it, nor should it be anything related to you (such as a birth date, favorite quote, family/pet name, etc)
- Preferably be randomly generated by a password manager
- Not be stored in the browser; we recommend use of a password manager to "remember" and save it
- Enter your full name
- Enter your email address
- Make sure you select "non-profit research or educational purposes"
- Enter your organization name
- Click the "I have read and agree..." checkbox
- Click "Create ID"
- Globus will send a verification code to the email address entered on the account form. Copy and paste it into the box, click "Verify"
- If all goes well, you should see a confirmation message. You should be able to click on the original link again to access the PI's storage. However, the first time in you will need to link your Globus ID with your email account. Click "Link It Now".
- When asked to link the identity, click "Continue".
- Enter the verification code sent to your email.
- You should be able to click on the original link, log in with your Globus ID, and access the shared space.
- Please note Globus may ask you to authenticate again before you can upload anything. This is normal.