Topics Map > Website > Word Press
Editing pages in Word Press
Directions on how to access and edit your web pages on the SOP website.
To make edits in Wordpress, SoP IIT must grant you permissions to edit a page. Follow the steps listed in the following document to create an account: KB (help) document - Creating an account in Word Press for editing privileges.
Once you have editing permissions in WordPress:
- Go to the pharmacy.wisc.edu website.
- Click on the "Intranet"link in upper right corner of the header, and log-in with your NetID.
- Select the "Web Server" option to log into the SOP site in Editing Mode.
You'll arrive at the Wordpress Dashboard page.
- Click on "School of Pharmacy" button found in the upper left corner, on the black tool bar. (Sometimes it can be slow to load!)
- Navigate to the page you wish to edit.
- There are two places you can access the edit button:
- "Edit Page" in the black tool bar at the top of the page
- "Edit" at the bottom of the content.
- Once you are in the Page Edit mode, the two boxes highlighted below are the ONLY ones you should work in.
- Use the WYSIWYG editor to make changes. You can use the "Add Media" button to use pictures from the library. If you want to use pictures that are not currently loaded, you must email them to email@example.com and ask to have them added to the "Media Library".
- Word Press seems to work well with content that is copied and pasted from Word.
Our list of thing NEVER do on your pages if you want to keep your editing access!
- Never use underlined text. This is reserved for links - and the underlined formatting gets added automatically byWordPress.
- Never upload images. Per the directions above, send images to IIT via firstname.lastname@example.org so we can optimize them for the web to ensure faster page loading.
- No new pages. If you need to create additional pages, please contact IIT via email@example.com so we can add them and get them in the menu properly.
- Do NOT modify code/delete anything in the [ ] square brackets. This affects the layout of the pages and will result in content getting completely screwed up.
Our list of Suggestions / Helpful hints:
- Use the toolbar toggle button to fully expand the editing tools.
- To achieve a single space (return to next line) - hold the shift button when you hit return
- If you need a table (please avoid if possible) - create the table formatted how you want in Word and copy and paste in. Word Press' table formatting options are limited, but will bring in the layout nicely from Word.