Topics Map > Network
Topics Map > NetID
Topics Map > IT
Guest Net ID, UW Wireless Access
This document provides information for obtaining a guest UW Net ID for visiting speakers and conference attendees.
- Entomology, Plant Pathology, and Forest & Wildlife faculty, students, and staff; Hub staff
Guest NetID's are used to provide wireless Internet and VPN access for individuals who are guests of the UW Madison Campus.
The Guest NetID service is intended for people who are guests of campus, such as conference attendees and visiting professors who are not enrolling as professors or students at the University.
- Guest NetIDs can only access Wireless UWNet and WiscVPN dynamic profiles.
- A Guest NetID does not grant access to the portal, calendar, email, or other NetID accessible utilities.
- It will last for a maximum of 31 days and is not renewable.
How to ObtainIf you are visiting campus and would like a Guest NetID, talk to the department or coordinator responsible for your stay.
Guest NetIDs can be issued by employees of UW-Madison only.
Employees with affiliated organizations (e.g. UW Hospitals, Wisconsin Alumni Association, etc) must also have a valid appointment with UW-Madison in order to be able to create Guest NetIDs.
- The employee must put an expiration date on the Guest NetID when creating it.
- Once the account expires, it cannot be re-issued.
- If a guest needs to have their access extended, their host can create a new Guest NetID.
FeeThere is no charge for this service.
How to Obtain
Visit https://it.wisc.edu/services/guest-account-guest-netid/ to access to the Guest NetID service. You will need to login with your NetID and password.