Human Resources - Alcohol Permits

This document provides instructions on how to apply for an alcohol beverage service permit.


  • Entomology, Plant Pathology, and Forest & Wildlife faculty, students, and staff; Russell Labs Hub staff


Alcoholic Beverage Policy

A UW Regent administrative rule prohibits the possession of open containers of alcoholic beverages and the consumption of such beverages on campus unless specifically permitted. Under the rule, each UW System campus is required to establish institution-specific regulations for permitting alcoholic beverage possession and consumption.

Full UW-Madison policy:

Alcohol Beverage Service Permits

New Online Permit and Training System Available Now

The new UW-Madison alcohol policy is now in effect for any events held on January 21, 2014 or later. Event organizers must complete responsible employee training and apply for an alcohol beverage service permit. 

Events held off campus, such as events held at a conference hotel, do not require the alcohol service permit if the venue has the appropriate license. However, all UW alcohol policies, such as no underage drinking, do apply. 

Doug Sabatke is the CALS "designated authorized official" or Dean's Designee, responsible for review and approval of alcohol permit requests for University events sponsored through departments and programs in the College of Agriculture and Life Science.

Enter Doug's name in the appropriate fields in the online permit system.

Doug Sabatke should be entered in the field labeled "Name of Authorized University Official Approving Permit " - his email address is

Please make every effort to allow at least one week for lead time (one week prior to the event) which will allow time for review, possible follow-up and approval. 

You will automatically be notified via email when your request is approved (or denied).

Helpful Hints

  • For now, since there is no field for the Dept.'s name on the online alcohol permit application form, please include your Dept.'s name in the Function Name or Description field: "i.e., Dept. of Entomology faculty recruiting event."

  • From "Sponsoring Department" drop down menu which actually lists Campus Divisional offices, please choose College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.


New Online System

Units can procure and provide their own alcohol beverages if they obtain an Alcohol Beverage Service Permit. The event must be attended by no more than 150 people. Individuals interested in hosting larger and/or longer events should contact an on-campus or off-campus caterer for arrangements.    

A responsible employee who has completed the required campus training must:

  • sign the permit

  • be present at the event

  • be responsible for the alcohol service, in compliance with the requirements listed below.

The permit must be approved by both:

  • an authorized University official, in most cases the area Dean or Director1

  • by the facility.

1 Doug Sabatke's name should be entered in the field labeled "Name of Authorized University Official Approving Permit." His email address is

Undergraduate student organizations are not permitted to obtain an alcohol beverage service permit.

The Alcohol Beverage Permit Checklist has been developed to assist units in planning such events.

Alcohol Beverage Permit Checklist

  • One responsible employee for the first 50 attendees. One additional responsible employee for each additional 25 attendees.

  • Attendees less than 150 persons

  • Food and non-alcohol beverages available

  • Appropriate size clear plastic cups available, 8 oz. for serving wine. Beer served in individual cans or bottles no larger than 12 oz.; No other alcohol beverages will be offered.

  • Responsible Employee available must:

    • Be an employee with a faculty, limited, academic staff or university staff appointment who is age 21 or over (or a graduate or professional student for events hosted by and for graduate and professional students).

    • Complete Responsible Employee Training

    • Sign Alcohol Beverage Service Permit

    • Agree not to consume alcohol during event

    • Agree to perform responsible duties including:

      • Remaining present at all times during the event

      • Ensuring the conditions of the permit are followed

      • Ensuring intoxicated individuals do not consume alcohol

      • Preventing consumption by individuals below the Minimum Legal Drinking Age (MLDA)

      • Maintaining control of the alcohol beverages at all times and secure them at the conclusion of the event.

  • Procedures in place to prevent consumption of alcohol beverages by persons below the MLDA:

    • All attendees are above the MLDA, or

    • ID checked for all attendees below 30 and wristbands/name tags used to indicate age.

  • UW-Madison Alcohol Beverage Responsibility Sign displayed

  • Alcohol Beverage Service Permit signed by Authorized University Official 



If you have questions about the alcohol policy, please contact the Department Administrator.

Keywords:russell lab hub administration alcohol policy permit beverage   Doc ID:46126
Owner:Alyson A.Group:Russell Labs Hub
Created:2015-01-12 09:08 CSTUpdated:2022-08-29 12:34 CST
Sites:Russell Labs Hub
Feedback:  0   0