Topics Map > HR
Topics Map > First Week

Human Resources - Driver Authorization

This document provides information for obtaining driver authorization. This is needed to rent or drive a UW/State Fleet vehicle. It is also needed to get reimbursed for driving a personal vehicle and/or parking fees while on University business.


  • Entomology, Plant Pathology, and Forest & Wildlife faculty, students, staff and volunteers; Hub staff


In order to be covered by the State's Liability Protection while driving on University business, all UW-Madison Faculty, Staff, Student, LTE and Volunteer drivers must be approved through the State of Wisconsin Enterprise Vehicle System, prior to departing on University business. 

Regardless of whether you are driving your personal vehicle, Car Fleet or DOA vehicle, or rental vehicle, all potential drivers must complete the appropriate driver authorization information.

Information on UW Driver's Authorization is found on this Risk Management Page:

State of Wisconsin Enterprise Vehicle System:

Specific Important Information

Approved drivers are added to the Approved Driver Database database as follows:

Specific Important Information for the Approved Driver Database
Category Maximum Length Notes
Faculty/Staff Indefinitely
Exception: if you hold an out-of-state license, six months
  • Drivers will not be re-approved until a Wisconsin license is obtained.
  • Permanent out of state drivers will be approved for 1 year and must re-apply annually.
Temporary Employees (TE's) Two years  
Students/Volunteers One year or duration of a trip  
Honorary Associates/Fellows One year must apply as Volunteers
Emeritus One year must apply as Volunteers

Out of State Driver’s License or Less than Two Years Driving History

Drivers with an out of state driver’s license, must provide a driving abstract from that state showing the last two years driving history and their driver’s license. Wisconsin drivers with less than two years driving history, must also provide a driving abstract from the other state showing the last two years driving history and driver’s license. These documents need to be uploaded in the application. Only PDF files will be accepted.

Russell Labs Information

The application asked for UW Campus: UW-Madison, and the UW UDDS Code:

  • Entomology: 073600
  • Forest and Wildlife Ecology: 076400
  • Plant Pathology: 074800
  • Seed Potato Farm: 074850
  • Russell Hub: 077510


Keywords:russell lab hub administration, faculty, student, LTE, volunteer, driver authorization   Doc ID:46362
Owner:Alyson A.Group:Russell Labs Hub
Created:2015-01-22 10:42 CDTUpdated:2022-08-04 10:31 CDT
Sites:Russell Labs Hub
Feedback:  0   0