Financial - Purchasing Quick Reference
This doc outlines references that can be used to purchase goods and services. Examples: lab supplies, computer equipment
- Entomology, Plant Pathology, and Forest & Wildlife faculty, students, and staff; Hub staff
Hub Staff Dealing with Financial/Accounting and Payroll/Benefits Issues
|Person||Covers These Departments||Responsibilities|
|Amber Oberdeck||Entomology/Plant Pathology||PO’s, E-reimbursements, Pcards, ShopUW+|
|Christine Terrien||Forest and Wildlife Ecology/Hub||PO’s, E-reimbursements, Pcards, ShopUW+|
|Candice Butler||Entomology/Plant Pathology||Payroll, benefits|
|Sonia Beyer, Alyson Amenda||Forest and Wildlife Ecology/Hub||Payroll, benefits|
|Amber, Christine, Margaret||All||Closeout of projects|
UW-Business Services Purchasing Links
- Home page: https://businessservices.wisc.edu/purchasing/
- How to make a purchase guide: https://businessservices.wisc.edu/purchasing/how-to-make-a-purchase/
Who You Can Purchase From
#1 Choice: ShopUW+
If ShopUW+ does not stock the commodity...
|Price UNDER $5,000||Price OVER $5,000|
|Pcard (UW credit card)||MUST use a Purchase Order|
|You must either:
- purchase from an eligible vendor with a current UW or State of Wisconsin purchasing contract OR
- do a 3-vendor quote (called a simplified bid)
|Ineligible vendors||Check the ineligible vendor lists (there are 2):
|Purchase limit||Purchase must be under $5,000.
You can NOT split the transaction up to meet this requirement. That is considered serialized purchasing.
|Tax exemption||The UW is tax exempt with most purchases.
Some states do not accept this. For those states, please make a note on the tracking form why purchase was not tax exempt.
If tax over $25 is incurred on a purchase that should have been tax exempt, please document your attempt to obtain a tax refund and submit to your Site Manager.
|Office supplies||- Check ShopUW+ first.
- Shoppers must use Staples via ShopUW+. They are the State-mandated vendor for office supplies.
- Contracted Vendors - https://businessservices.wisc.edu/purchasing/contracts/(use search all contracts)
- Simplified Bid Process - https://businessservices.wisc.edu/purchasing/simplified-bid-process/
- Sole Source justification: - https://businessservices.wisc.edu/documents/non-competitive-purchasing-request/
NOTE: You are not allowed to sign ANY contracts on behalf of the University, including software licenses.
- Make sure to read the UW travel policy; traveler training is available.
- You MUST be a UW-authorized driver if driving ANY vehicle for UW business.
- You must book as much as possible through CONCUR(air, hotel, etc.). Please screenshot and/or document if Concur cannot meet your needs.
- e-Reimbursement - must have receipts for most purchases. See the Receipt Requirements section of this page: https://businessservices.wisc.edu/travel-reimbursement/getting-reimbursed/
- Sales tax is non-reimbursable on purchases in Wisconsin and other Tax exempt states.
See also: Travel Quick Reference
Items That Require Special Approval
See the Items Requiring Special Approval section of this page:
Click to expand the Products and services requiring special approval box.