Financial - Purchasing Quick Reference

This doc outlines references that can be used to purchase goods and services. Examples: lab supplies, computer equipment


  • Entomology, Plant Pathology, and Forest & Wildlife faculty, students, and staff; Hub staff

Hub Staff Dealing with Financial/Accounting and Payroll/Benefits Issues

Person Covers These Departments Responsibilities
Amber Oberdeck Entomology/Plant Pathology PO’s, E-reimbursements, Pcards, ShopUW+
Christine Terrien Forest and Wildlife Ecology/Hub PO’s, E-reimbursements, Pcards, ShopUW+
Candice Butler Entomology/Plant Pathology Payroll, benefits
Sonia Beyer, Alyson Amenda Forest and Wildlife Ecology/Hub Payroll, benefits
Laurie Luther All Pre-award
Amber, Christine, Margaret All Closeout of projects

Additional Info:

Who Does What in the Hub and Alphabetical Listing of Hub Staff

UW-Business Services Purchasing Links

Who You Can Purchase From

#1 Choice:  ShopUW+

If ShopUW+ does not stock the commodity...

Price UNDER $5,000 Price OVER $5,000
Pcard (UW credit card) MUST use a Purchase Order
  You must either:
- purchase from an eligible vendor with a current UW or State of Wisconsin purchasing contract OR
do a 3-vendor quote (called a simplified bid)

Pcard Purchases:

Ineligible vendors Check the ineligible vendor lists (there are 2):
Purchase limit Purchase must be under $5,000.
You can NOT split the transaction up to meet this requirement. That is considered serialized purchasing.
Tax exemption The UW is tax exempt with most purchases.
Some states do not accept this. For those states, please make a note on the tracking form why purchase was not tax exempt.
If tax over $25 is incurred on a purchase that should have been tax exempt, please document your attempt to obtain a tax refund and submit to your Site Manager.
Office supplies - Check ShopUW+ first.
- Shoppers must use Staples via ShopUW+. They are the State-mandated vendor for office supplies.

Additional info:

NOTE: You are not allowed to sign ANY contracts on behalf of the University, including software licenses.



  • Make sure to read the UW travel policy; traveler training is available.
  • You MUST be a UW-authorized driver if driving ANY vehicle for UW business.
  • You must book as much as possible through CONCUR(air, hotel, etc.).  Please screenshot and/or document if Concur cannot meet your needs.
  • e-Reimbursement - must have receipts for most purchases.  See the Receipt Requirements section of this page:
  • Sales tax is non-reimbursable on purchases in Wisconsin and other Tax exempt states.

See also: Travel Quick Reference

Items That Require Special Approval

See the Items Requiring Special Approval section of this page:

Click to expand the Products and services requiring special approval box.


Keywords:Purchasing, Travel, e-Reimbursement, purchasing card, CONCUR, items requiring special approval, guide, purchasing quick start, purchasing quick start guide, quick start, ShopUW+   Doc ID:97305
Owner:Margaret W.Group:Russell Labs Hub
Created:2020-01-23 16:10 CSTUpdated:2022-01-11 12:08 CST
Sites:Russell Labs Hub
Feedback:  0   0