Topics Map > Faculty Guide
Russell Labs Hub - Faculty Guide - Student Hourly Hires
This document provides the information needed to put a student hourly into the payroll system.
Information needed from faculty/staff:
- Student full name (include middle initial if you have it)
- Start Date
- Time approver and Backup approver (LTE's and Honorary Appointees may NOT approve time)
- Hourly Wage
- Student email address
Information obtained from the student:(please have them go to room 278)
- Date of Birth
- Social Security #
- Phone Number
Paperwork needed if not active in payroll system:(student can get the paperwork in room 278 - or at below links)
- W-4 https://uwservice.wisc.edu/docs/forms/pay-employee-withholding-a.pdf
- Direct Deposit https://uwservice.wisc.edu/docs/forms/pay-direct-deposit.pdf
- I9. The student will receive an email with logon information from a company called GIS regarding work authorization verification. It is mandatory the student complete Section 1 of the online I-9 work authorization verification form on or before the first day of work. It is also mandatory Section 2 of the I-9 is completed no later than the third day of employment. This can be completed by presenting the required acceptable documentation. A list of acceptable documents is attached below. Russell Lab HR must view each document in person and then enter document information into the I-9 system to complete Section 2. There are several combinations of acceptable documents that may be presented but most often we see 1 of these 3 sets of documents:
• Driver’s License and Social Security Card, or
• Driver’s License and Birth Certificate, or
• Valid Passport
A list of I-9 acceptable documents:https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-9.pdf#page=9
Please try to have this information to the payroll coordinator prior to hiring a student
Do not wait until the day the student starts, or until after the student has already started. The student can not start until the paper work is completed and in the system.
To see a pdf of 2017 biweekly payroll dates: 2017 Biweekly Payroll Calendar.For further information on student hourly positions including eligibility, see this UW Office of Human Resources Student Hourly page.