Topics Map > Financial
Purchasing Quick Reference
This is a purchasing quick reference guide.
|Person||Covers These Departments||Responsibilities|
|Amber Hawkey||Entomology/Plant Pathology||PO’s, E-reimbursements, Pcards, MDS|
|Christine Terrien||Forest and Wildlife Ecology/Hub||PO’s, E-reimbursements, Pcards, MDS|
|Calvin Phomsena||Entomology/Plant Pathology||Payroll, benefits|
|Sonia Beyer, Alyson Amenda||Forest and Wildlife Ecology/Hub||Payroll, benefits|
|Amber, Christine, Alyson||All||Closeout of projects|
UW-Business Services Purchasing Home Page:
Shopping Choices in Preferred Order:
- MDS (Shop@UW)
- Pcard - purchases UP TO $5,000
- Purchase Order - purchases OVER $5,000
- For purchases over $5000, you must either:
- purchase from an eligible vendor with a current UW or State of Wisconsin purchasing contract OR
- do a 3-vendor quote (called a simplified bid)
- Further info:
- Contracted Vendors - https://businessservices.wisc.edu/purchasing/contracts/ (use search all contracts)
- Simplified Bid Process - https://businessservices.wisc.edu/purchasing/simplified-bid-process/
- Sole Source justification: - https://businessservices.wisc.edu/documents/non-competitive-purchasing-request/
NOTE: You are not allowed to sign any contracts on behalf of the University, including software licenses.
- Make sure to read the UW travel policy; traveler training is available.
- You MUST be a UW-authorized driver if driving ANY vehicle for UW business.
- You must book as much as possible through CONCUR (air, hotel, etc.)
- e-Reimbursement - must have receipts for most purchases. See the Receipt Requirements section of this page: https://businessservices.wisc.edu/travel-reimbursement/getting-reimbursed/
See also: Travel Resources
Check with Laurie Ballentine in room 237. Laurie also as a Pcard for the Hub that can be used to purchase travel or lab supplies.
- Ineligible vendors - check the ineligible vendor lists (there are 2): https://businessservices.wisc.edu/purchasing/how-to-make-a-purchase/how-to-buy-a-product/#buy-products
- Purchase limit - purchase must be under $5,000. You can NOT split the transaction up to meet this requirement. That is considered serialized purchasing.
- Tax exemption - the UW is tax exempt with most purchases. There are some states that do not accept this. Document that you attempted to make a tax exempt purchase.
- Office Supplies - check MDS first. If you can’t find the item you want, check Staples. They are the State-mandated vendor for office supplies.
Items That Require Special Approval:
See the Items Requiring Special Approval section of this page:
Click to expand the Products and services requiring special approval box.