Incentives offered to research participants, to recognize their time and participation, should be described in the protocol application and consent documents. Incentives might include:
- Monetary compensation: Can be provided at an hourly rate, session rate, or total compensation for participation.
- Extra credit: If extra credit is offered as compensation, it must be commensurate across courses and sections; subjects must also be able to earn commensurate extra credit through alternate activities.
- Travel expenses: This includes reimbursements for gas, mileage, etc.
- Gifts and gift cards: Ensure gifts and gift cards are appropriate for the subject population included in the research, and not coercive.
Issues to consider in reference to compensation for research participants:
- Compensation must be appropriate in relation to participation, participants, and time commitment.
- Be sure to explain if and how participants will be compensated if they withdraw or end participation early.