Education and Social/Behavioral Science Institutional Review Board (ED/SBS IRB) Newsletter, IRB Insider / Volume 4, Issue 2, December 2015
New IRB Staff for the New Year!
The ED/SBS IRB office is excited to welcome two new staff members!
Laura Conger recently joined us in November as an Assistant Director. Previously with the University of Minnesota IRB, she has over six years of experience assisting study teams for both clinical and social science research. Laura's areas of expertise include collaborative research Management and regulatory compliance. Also a previous researcher in the social sciences herself, Laura is passionate about bringing her IRB expertise to UW-Madison's ED/SBS research community.
Stephanie Wilson, a native of Madison, joined us in November as an Assistant Director as well. She comes to us as a study coordinator from the health sciences, with experience in research project management and interaction with research participants. Stephanie is excited to be learning about education, social and behavioral research and to apply her previous experience in research to her new regulatory role.
Please feel free to contact any of our staff, including Laura or Steph, with questions about the IRB or review of research. Our contact information may be found here.
Training and Outreach Sessions
The ED/SBS IRB office offers an outreach/training curriculum throughout the year. We hold various training sessions tailored to a particular topic. The following are the upcoming trainings for Spring 2016:
- IRB 103: How to Avoid Delays in the IRB Approval Process on February 3, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. in Lathrop Hall, Room B137
- IRB 200: Consent Considerations on February 25, 2016 at 2:00 p.m. in Lathrop Hall, Room B137
- IRB 301: International Research & Summer Projects on March 8, 2016 at 10:00 a.m. in Lathrop Hall, Room B137
- IRB 302: Special Considerations on April 5, 2016 at 2:00 p.m. in Lathrop Hall, Room B137
Have questions? The ED/SBS IRB Staff are here to help!
- For questions regarding a specific protocol, contact the assigned Staff Reviewer. Instructions for identifying the Staff Reviewer are located here.
- Drop-in hours are every Wednesday from 2:00-3:00 p.m. and Thursday from 10:00-11:00 a.m. The IRB staff are located on the 3rd floor of Lathrop Hall (take the west elevator or stairs).
- Individual appointments can be scheduled throughout the week. Contact an IRB staff member to schedule an appointment. Contact information is available here.
- For questions about ARROW, email email@example.com.
- Training Sessions are held throughout the year. To register for upcoming sessions, please visit the IRB Training Sessions page.
- To schedule an Outreach Session for your class, department, or group to learn more about the IRB, visit the Outreach Sessions page of our website.
- The ED/SBS IRB Office KnowledgeBase is a great resource for researchers and includes FAQs, guidance documents, information for new researchers, and much more!