DoIT Shared Tools - JIRA - Add Users via Jira User Group
As an Administrator, you can choose a more granular security model by asking DoIT JIRA Admins to create one/multiple user groups that can grant different levels of access within the JIRA instance. This is ideal when you need compartmentalize and track users from different parts of the University and/or varied functionalities in your project. This document will give you instructions on how to assign permissions by adding users to groups.
What is a JIRA User Group
A JIRA User Group is a convenient way to manage a collection of users. You can use these Groups throughout your project to:
- Grant project specific access
- Receive email notifications
- Access issue filters and dashboards
- Reference workflow conditions
- Integrate with project roles
How to Create of a JIRA Group
If you're a JIRA Project Lead or Administrator, you won't be able to create, delete, or edit groups or group membership from within JIRA, and automatic group membership will not apply. However, you'll still be able to assign groups to project roles. To have a JIRA group created, email email@example.com. Please provide:
- Name of your Jira Project and Project Key
- Provide a name for your new JIRA Group
- Provide the NetID(s) of the users you want added to this list.
- If a user is brand new to JIRA, please have that person complete the steps in this document. After you have confirmed that the steps have been completed by the brand new user, THEN contact the Jira Admin with their NetID.
JIRA Project Administrator May Assign Groups to Roles
After JIRA Admins create and populate a JIRA user group, the Project Administrator(s) may assign the groups to the Roles of their choosing.
In the image below, the highlighted headers are specific roles. Under each role is JIRA Group (example: "ADI Mobile App Devs"). The image below shows that the Mobile App developers and the FY17 Contractors have full use of the JIRA project. However, the UW Accountants have a limited create role and the Auditor access is read only.
To remove a group, place your cursor on the line on which the group you want removed. A "trash can" icon will appear. Click on the icon to remove the group from that role.