Research Professor and Teaching Professor Tracks - Position Requests & Hire Processes
This document provides information on the position request and hiring processes for research and teaching professor faculty tracks at SMPH. For any questions related to these processes, please contact the SMPH Faculty Promotions team (email@example.com).
Position Request & Hire Processes
- The department chair or center director must discuss the position with the SMPH Dean (RP track) or the SMPH Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs (TP track) and obtain approval for the position
- If the SMPH Faculty Promotions Team (FPT) receives a request for an appointment or reclassification packet deadline, FPT will email the Dean or Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and Dean Raymond with a summary of the position, or reclassification, to confirm it was formally approved, prior to advising on a deadline.
- If the department is proceeding with an open recruitment, the HR Business Partner will submit the position through PoRT.
- Include confirmation of the Dean (RP track) or Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs (TP track) approval of position, including date of approval.
- Department and HR Business Partner follow Faculty New Hire Workflow - Open Recruitment (TREMS) when finalist is selected, taking note of the important items listed below.
- If hire will be processed through a PVL Waiver, follow Direct Hire PVL Waiver & New Hire Workflow, taking note of the important items listed below.
Important items to note:
- Research Professor track and Teaching Professor track offer letter templates are not linked on the intranet. Once you have been approved to hire on one of these tracks and have secured a finalist, please contact Faculty HR for the template.
- External candidates will not be hired into visiting titles while they await approval on their appointment. Their appointment will not begin until their position on the Research Professor or Teaching Professor track has been approved.
- The candidate’s dossier must be reviewed and approved by the committee prior to issuing the offer letter to the candidate. Appointments at Associate or full Professor rank require a dossier to be developed. This will be accomplished through the FPT calling an ad hoc meeting of the committee to review the dossier.
- Effective date of appointment: follow SMPH Start Date Guidelines.
- The hire will be processed through a reclassification in JEMS-Rate & Title. See OHR’s Rate & Title Adjustment System Manual for guidance on how to process transactions through JEMS-Rate & Title.
- Effective date of reclass: the start of a payroll period
- The change reason on the Salary/Title tab will be “New Title Assignment”
- The justification tab should include a note stating the Dean has approved the position/hire and the date the approval was given to the department chair or center director
- The HRBP should gather duties and time allocation (%) for each duty from the department/center to enter into the R&T request.
- Note: there are no salary increases automatically given as a result of a reclassification to the RP or TP track, except for raises to the new minimum of the range. If the department feels it is appropriate to provide a salary increase with the reclass, the HRBP should follow the standard process for requesting an increase through the Rate & Title system while processing the title reclassification, including a justification for the salary increase. The salary increase will be reviewed by the SMPH Compensation team and the Rate & Title Review Committee. Please note: since movement onto the RP and TP tracks do not come with a salary increase, the employee should not be negotiating a salary with the department/center upon being moved to this track. If the department decides they would like to pursue a salary increase, it is up to the department to determine the amount they will request.
- Simultaneously, the HRBP can begin working on the offer letter. Note: the Research Professor track and Teaching Professor track offer letter templates are not linked on the intranet. Once you have been approved by the Dean to hire on one of these tracks, please contact Faculty HR for the template. The offer letter and CV must be sent to Faculty HR and will go through the Faculty Offer Letter Review Process (SMPH Only) (beginning with step 2 of the process).
- Offer letters should not be sent to the candidate until they have been approved through the offer letter review process and until the Rate & Title transaction has been processed and approved, especially when there is a salary increase being requested
- If there is a salary increase, the offer letters will be approved contingent upon approval of the salary increase through the R&T review process by the SMPH Compensation team
- If the salary increase is denied or modified, the offer letter will need to be adjusted to reflect the approved salary amount before it is sent to the candidate
Important items to note:
- Appointments at the Associate or full Professor rank require a dossier to be developed. A dossier is not required when the hire is at the Assistant rank. The R&T reclass should not be processed until the dossier has been approved. The dossier must also be reviewed and approved by the committee prior to issuing the offer letter to the candidate. This will be accomplished through the FPT calling an ad hoc meeting of the committee to review the dossier
- When a dossier is required, candidates will not be hired into visiting titles while they await approval on their appointment. They will remain in their current UW title until their position on the Research Professor or Teaching Professor track has been approved.
Preparing appointment, reclassification, and promotion packets
- Once a finalist is selected through an open recruitment or the department has been granted approval to move ahead with a reclass for an internal candidate, if at the rank of Associate or full Professor, the dossier will need to be started.
- Packet submission dates will vary. Department Promotion Specialists (if applicable) or department leadership must communicate with the SMPH Promotions Team for deadlines.
- For guidance and checklists related to Research Professor Track dossiers, please visit the Research Professor Title Track Appointment and Promotion Guidelines.
- For guidance on and checklists related to Teaching Professor Track dossiers, please visit the Teaching Professor Title Track Appointment and Promotion Guidelines.
Dean's Office Dossier/Packet Review Workflow