Recruitment: Landing Page
This page is a collection of recruitment resources for use by SMPH HR team and department hiring managers.
Recruiting and Hiring Process
The standard process outlined below is designed to help HR and hiring managers plan and conduct inclusive recruitments. Please also visit the following helpful Recruitment Process Checklist.
Before Posting a Position
- Create your staffing plan to meet your business needs. Use Recruitment Intake Form
- Determine your budget and appropriate salary posting. See Recruitment Guide: Determine Salary for Recruitment
- HR will request SMPH Dean's Office and UWMF Workforce Planning (if faculty) approval to recruit. See Recruitment Guide: Position Approval Process
Planning your Recruitment
- Determine your applicant screening and interview process. Develop a timeline
- Create a selection committee to recommend the final candidate(s). See Recruitment Guide: Search and Screen Committees
- Hiring managers and search committee members review unconscious bias training resources. See Unconscious Bias Training
- Develop screening criteria to consistently evaluate applicants. See Recruitment Guide: Screening Criteria and Degree Requirements
Posting and Advertising
Creating the Job Posting
- Prepare a well-informed position vacancy listing to attract candidates. See Recruitment Guide: Position Vacancy Listings (PVLs)
- If visa sponsorship is available, HR will send the drafted PVL to the SMPH Immigration Specialist for review and feedback.
- HR will create the job posting in Talent Recruitment and Engagement System (TREMS).
Advertising and Sourcing
HR and hiring managers should work together to advertise the position and source candidates to reach a diverse applicant pool. See Recruitment Guide: Advertising and Sourcing
The Applicant Tracking Form (Excel) may be used as a tool for departments to track their applicants throughout the recruitment. While optional, it will help HR with capturing recruitment data from hiring managers and interview teams.
- Review all candidate applications that were submitted prior to the application deadline or assured consideration date. See Recruitment Guide: Reviewing Applications
- When reviewing applications, you must use a rubric to screen all applicants by uniformly applying job-related criteria. Sample rubrics available in the Recruitment Guide: Reviewing Applications.
- Maintain documentation of your review process and results by properly notating whether applicants are minimally or not minimally qualified.
- After reviewing applications, search committee and/or hiring manager will determine the candidates that will move forward to interviews using the job-related criteria.
- Establish an interview process with an initial screening of applicants through phone interviews (highly recommended), followed by panel interviews and presentations. See Recruitment Guide: Interviews
- During the initial screening interview, request and verify the salary requirements of candidates so there are no “surprises” down the line. See SMPH Phone Interview Guide
- Use a consistent set of interview questions to address every interviewee. Questions should be job-related and link to selection criteria.
- Ask at least one diversity question that gives the candidate an opportunity to share their perspective on diversity, equity, and inclusion in the work setting. See Interview Questions - Diversity and Behavioral Based.
- Use a rubric or survey to gather feedback from the interview panel(s). Sample rubrics available in the Recruitment Guide: Interviews.
- The selection committee will recommend the final candidates to the hiring manager to make a selection.
- Check references on your top finalist before making an offer
- As a courtesy, obtain the candidate’s consent to contact references.
- Follow the Reference Check Guidelines and policy for a consistent reference check process for all candidates.
- Use a consistent set of core questions for each reference check. See Reference Check form.
- Maintain notes for reference checks in the recruitment file.
Making an Offer
- The decision to hire must be based on the candidate’s ability to perform the job.
- Work with your HRBP to determine the salary. See [Link for document 105989 is unavailable at this time.]
- Verify the appropriate start date with your HRBP or Recruiter. See SMPH Start Date Guidelines
- Extend a pre/verbal offer to the candidate.
- Send hire information to HRBP or Recruiter. Use Hire Selection Form
- HR will follow new hire workflows to process hires.
After an Offer is Accepted - Final Documentation
- Provide HR final candidate statuses who were interviewed and not hired. Information will be updated in TREMS as a system of record.
- Work with HR to provide feedback to non-selected applicants who were interviewed. See [Link for document 109115 is unavailable at this time.]
- Maintain recruitment file with the following items: Job Description, Applicant Tracking Forms, Interview Questions, and any assessment tools used for screening. See Recruitment Guide: Documenting the Recruitment Process