Topics Map > Office of the Secretary of the Faculty > Faculty Senate > Senate Minutes
Faculty Senate Minutes 2010-03-01
University of Wisconsin--Madison
shared governance document
March 1, 2010
The meeting was called to order by Chancellor Biddy Martin at 3:31 p.m. with 159 voting members present.
1. Memorial resolutions were presented for:
2. Announcements/Informational Items.
Chancellor Martin spoke about the Madison Initiative for Undergraduates and the selection of proposals to receive funding, her participation at the recent meetings of the WARF and UW Foundation boards, fundraising efforts, the report of the Ad Hoc Committee to Determine the Needs and Structure of UW-Madison’s Research Enterprise, and UW System’s Educational Attainment Initiative. The chancellor also announced that the deans of the College of Letters and Science and the Law School are currently undergoing their five-year reviews.Professor William Tracy spoke about Ad Hoc Committee to Review the Athletic Board, the Ad Hoc Committee to Determine the Needs and Structure of UW-Madison’s Research Enterprise, the UW System’s Educational Attainment Initiative, and the University Committee’s initiative regarding graduate student funding.Professor Emeritus Dennis Maki updated the senate on faculty and staff participation in the “Great People. Great Place.” need-based scholarship fundraising campaign. Significant participation by faculty and staff has resulted in donations and matching funds in excess of $2 million.
3. Question Period.
Chancellor Martin and Provost DeLuca responded to questions from Professor Janet Mertz (District 93) regarding recent fee increases for central ordering, receiving and delivery of radioactive materials and the reasons why the fees are not administered as indirect costs.
AUTOMATIC CONSENT BUSINESS
4. The minutes of 1 February 2010 were approved as distributed.
5. Professor James Johannes submitted for informational purposes the Officer Education Committee Annual Report for 2009-2010. faculty document 2184
There were no questions.
6. Chancellor Martin called attention to the report of the nominations of faculty for election to the Committee on Committees. The nominees are:
Biological Sciences Division
Professor Brent McCown, Horticulture (District 13)
Professor Donald Wiebe, Pathology and Laboratory Medicine (District 95)
Social Studies Division
Professor Maribeth Gettinger, Educational Psychology (District 30)
Professor John Sharpless, History (District 60)
There were no additional nominations from the floor.
The nominations were closed. Electronic balloting information will be distributed to the senators in late March.
7. Professor Tracy presented for discussion the first reading of the University Committee Recommendation to Amend Faculty Policies and Procedures 1.02.B. faculty document 2185
There were three questions.
8. Professor Donald Downs presented for discussion the first reading of the Recommendation to Amend Faculty Policies and Procedures 8.01. faculty document 2186
There were several questions and comments.
The meeting adjourned at 4:35 p.m.
Secretary of the Faculty