Topics Map > Office of the Secretary of the Faculty > Faculty Senate > University Committee
University Committee Meeting Minutes 2013-08-12
University Committee Meeting Minutes
approved August 19, 2013
August 12, 2013
Present: Bernard-Donals, Cook, Fair, Farrar-Edwards, Meyerand, Petty
1. The meeting began at 1:00 p.m.
2. Motion by Petty, second by Meyerand to approve minutes of the meeting of July 29, 2013 and August 5, 2013 (amended). Unanimous approval.
3. The University Committee reviewed its August 5 requests to the ad hoc interdivisional curriculum committee regarding the proposed changes to Faculty Policies and Procedures related to the course approval process. Because FP&P 6.12 provides for appeal of committee decisions, the UC will no longer request the addition of a statement to the end of B.1. that states that the university curriculum committee’s recommendation is submitted to the appropriate dean for final action.
4. The UC discussed the Division of International Studies Advisory Committee’s report with Guido Podesta, interim vice provost/dean, and David McDonald, committee chair.
5. The UC will create an ad hoc committee on faculty accommodation for ADA; the charge will be discussed at next week’s meeting. The ad hoc committee will include six faculty members (including two current or former department chairs who have worked on these issues), plus five non-voting ex officio members: two departmental disability representatives, one academic staff and one classified staff; Barb Lanser from the Office of Equity and Diversity; Brian Vaughan from Administrative Legal Services; and a representative from the Office of Human Resources.
Farrar-Edwards arrived at 2:59 p.m.
6. The UC will create an ad hoc faculty committee on bullying. The charge, structure, and committee name will be discussed at next week’s meeting. The UC will be mindful of connecting the ad hoc committee with the climate subcommittee of the ad hoc diversity plan committee.
Petty departed at 3:20 p.m.
7. The UC will invite Kent Weigel to discuss the charge to CURAFA for the 2013-14 academic year.
8. The UC will finalize a charge to the Committee on Access and Accommodations in Instruction at next week’s meeting.
9. Motion by Cook, second by Bernard-Donals to support the request to remove "advising available" from academic calendar. Unanimous. The request will proceed to the faculty senate.
10. Motion by Cook, second by Farrar-Edwards to convene in closed session pursuant to Wis. Stats. 19.85(1)(c), and (f) to discuss personnel matters.
11. The meeting adjourned at 4:27 p.m.
Minutes submitted by Andrea Poehling, secretary of the faculty.