Topics Map > Research > Search for Funding
Research-UW-Madison Internal Funding Opportunities
Below are funding opportunities offered by different units across the UW-Madison campus. These opportunities support faculty and/or staff in research and public service projects and activities. Always check the sponsoring unit’s website for the most current eligibility criteria, application requirements, and deadline.
The following list is not exhaustive. It includes both general opportunities and program-specific opportunities with an apparent connection to Human Ecology research and scholarship.
Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education (OVCRGE) provides research funding for faculty through its annual cross-campus Fall Research Competition, as well as funding for travel for faculty to domestic and international meetings, named professorships, mid-career awards, and faculty fellowships. Other OVCRGE funding programs provide grants to help transfer technologies from the laboratory to the marketplace.
- Fall Research Competition
- State Economic Engagement and Development (SEED) Research Grants Program
- Draper TIF (with Discovery 2 Product [D2P])
- Conference Travel Awards
- Research Forward
- See a list of past research funding initiatives offered by the OVCRGE
Office of the Provost supports a variety of research, teaching, and service awards for faculty and staff, often through Chair or Dean nominations. Check the website for those opportunities.
- Baldwin WI Idea Endowment Seed Grants
- Baldwin WI Idea Endowment Project Grants
- Evjue Foundation Grants
Institute for Research on Poverty (IRP) researches the causes and consequences of poverty and inequality in the United States. It brings together social scientists from across research disciplines such as economics, sociology, social work, and demography.
- Extramural Research Funding Program
- Extramural Small Grant Program on Poverty, Retirement, and Disability Research
- Researcher-Practitioner Evaluation Partnership Grants
School of Medicine and Public Health (SMPH) offers numerous resources for faculty, researchers, and practitioners. SoHE researchers have frequently been involved in the WI Partnership Program (WPP) grant programs.
- WPP Collaborative Health Sciences Program
- WPP Community Impact Grants
- WPP Child and Maternal Health Grant
Institute for Clinical and Translational Research (ICTR) continually updates the pilot awards program to include new initiatives and funding opportunities. Targeted research areas include basic discovery research, patient-based clinical research, patient-centered outcomes research, dissemination and implementation research, and community engaged research.
- Clinical and Community Outcomes Research (CCOR)
- Collaborative Health Equity Research (CHER)
- Dissemination & Implementation (D&I) Research Award
- Evidence to Implementation (E2I) Award
- Novel Methods in Translational Science
- Stakeholder & Patient Engaged Research (SPER)
- Translational Basic & Clinical Research Pilot Award
Morgridge Center for Public Service offers funding opportunities for UW-Madison faculty and instructional staff for community-based learning courses, research, community-engaged projects and more.
- Community-Based Research Grants Due December. $5,000
- Course Development Grants Due December. $5,000
- WI Idea Fellowships Mentoring program for undergraduate student, no listed deadline.
Tommy G. Thompson Center on Public Leadership takes as its mission the promotion of effective leadership, bipartisan approaches to public policy, and well-researched policy. The Center funds faculty research across the UW System that will advance public leadership and help leaders to address pressing policy challenges.
- TGT Research Grant Awards Due June. Award level varies by project need.
Global Health Institute (GHI) grant programs support innovative global health work in Wisconsin and across the world.
- Seed Grants
- Faculty and Staff Travel Awards
- Visiting Scholar Awards
- GHI Graduate Student Research Awards
- Anderson Graduate Student Research Award
- Clinical Research Awards
Institute for Research on the Humanities (IRH) awards some 40-45 stipendary and non-stipendary fellowships to internal and external applicants each year. The College of Letters & Science and generous gifts to the Institute fund these fellowships, which are open to applicants in any discipline or field whose project has clear significance for the humanities. Most IRH fellowships are not limited by theme or research area but there are exceptions. Check the IRH website for full elibility requirements.
- Multiple Fellowships for UW Faculty, visiting Faculty, and Postdoctoral Researchers Check website for the details specific to each fellowship program. Due dates and award levels vary by program.
College of Agricultural and Life Sciences (CALS) manages the awarding of funding allocated to UW-Madison under the federal McIntire-Stennis and Hatch Acts. Faculty from CALS and SoHE are eligible to apply.
- Hatch Projects (USDA Formula Funding in Agricultural, Food Systems and Nutrition Research) Due September. Award levels vary by project need.
- Faculty Arts Research
- Staff and Faculty Arts Outreach
- Student Arts Research and Achievement
School of Human Ecology conducts competitive grant cycles throughout the year, with awards made per Centers or program priorities.
- Course Release Incentive Applications
- Centers of Excellence Discretionary Research Incentive Funding
- Flexible Research Expense Funding
- Postdoctoral Researcher Support Awards (for mid- or late-career faculty)
- Indigenous EcoWell Initiative
- Center for Financial Security (CFS) Retirement and Disability Research Center (funded through the Social Security Administration [SSA]).
New Faculty Guide to Competing for Research Funding [UW NetID login required]