Topics Map > Research > Search for Funding

Research-Federal Agencies that Fund Academic Research

Numerous federal agencies provide funding for academic research and extension activities. The list below is not exhaustive.

Federal Grant-Making Agencies

Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) aims to enhance the health and well-being of Americans by providing for effective health and human services and by fostering sound, sustained advances in the sciences underlying medicine, public health, and social services.

National Science Foundation (NSF) is the only federal agency whose mission includes support for all fields of fundamental science and engineering, except for medical sciences. It is organized into seven directorates:

Social Security Administration (SSA) funds research and demonstration grants through the Office of Acquisition and Grants (OAG), related to Old-Age Survivors Program, Social Security Disability Insurance Program (SSDI), and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Program.

Department of Education (ED) promotes student achievement and preparation for global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and ensuring equal access to education.

National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) is an independent grant-making agency dedicated to supporting research, education, preservation, and public programs in the humanities.

National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) is a public agency dedicated to supporting excellence in the arts, bringing the arts to all Americans, and providing leadership in arts education. NEA funds both individual artist fellowships and organizational grants.

U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) serves all Americans through anti-hunger efforts, through stewardship of nearly 200 million acres of national forest and rangelands, and through product safety and conservation efforts.

U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) is an independent federal government agency that provides economic and humanitarian assistance in more than 100 countries.

Institute of Museum and Library Science (IMLS) awards grants through two mechanisms, the National Leadership Grants for Libraries and the National Leadership Grants for Museums.

National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) supports a wide range of activities to preserve, publish, and encourage the use of documentary sources.

Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) is the nation's largest grant-maker supporting service and volunteering and provides funding through AmeriCorps, Senior Corps, and the Learn and Serve America programs.

Department of the Interior (DOI) uses sound science to manage and sustain America's lands, water, wildlife, and energy resources while honoring the nation's responsibilities to tribal nations and advocating for America's island communities.

Applying for a Federal Grant

With rare exception, a grant application to a federal agency listed above will need to be submitted by an Authorized Organizational Representative (AOR) via or, in the case of NSF proposals, via For nearly all opportunities, UW-Madison proposals must be submitted via RAMP, using the SF424 module, which provides a system-to-system mechanism for proposal submission to

The Principal Investigator (PI) of a proposal will need to work with the SoHE Pre-award Research Administrator, Sarah Marcotte, to prepare the budget, compile all required elements of the proposal, and obtain necessary approvals within the SoHE and on campus (as needed). An AOR in the office of Research and Sponsored Programs (RSP) will complete proposal submission on behalf of the PI.

Additional Resources

Preparing a Proposal (SoHE KB doc)

Submitting a Proposal (SoHE KB doc)

Budget and Proposal Forms and Templates (SoHE KB doc)

Complete list of Federal grant-making agencies (from website)

Keywordsfederal research agency agencies fund grant award   Doc ID108017
OwnerSarah M.GroupSchool of Human Ecology
Created2020-12-21 12:54:25Updated2023-08-04 14:27:02
SitesSchool of Human Ecology
Feedback  0   0