Office 365 (iOS) - Configure the native email/calendar app for iPhone or iPad
|IMPORTANT: Microsoft just released a version of Outlook which will work with UW-Madison's implementation of Office 365. This application is fully supported by Microsoft. Office 365 team recommends that all users install/use this application instead of the native iOS mail/calendaring clients.|
This document explains how to connect to the Office 365 service using an iOS device. Screenshots were originally taken on an iOS 7 device. Steps should still be similar for iOS 8 & 6.
Important: Certain mobile devices that connect to your Office 365 account via the Exchange/ActiveSync protocol can be remotely wiped. This is a useful feature that can help protect your privacy. Please read about Office 365 remote device wipe to see if your device supports this, and learn how it works. If you do not want remote wipe capability via Office 365, your device may have the option to connect via IMAP. If connected via IMAP, you will only have access to your email.
Configure iPhone/iPad/iPod for Office 365
- Open Settings.
- For iOS 9 and belowSelect Mail, Contacts, Calendars, then select Add Account near the top of the right-hand column.
- For iOS 10, select Mail, then Accounts and then Add Account.
For iOS 11, select Accounts & Passwords, then App and Website Passwords.
- Select Exchange.
- On the account setup window, enter the following for each field:
- Email: -
- NetID Account: Enter the primary address of your NetID account which will take one of the following forms: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Service Account: Enter the primary address of your Service account which will take one of the following forms: email@example.com
Note: if you don't know whether you are attempting to configuring a NetID account or a Service account, please contact your domain administrator or the DoIT HelpDesk.
- Password: Enter the password for the account being configured.
- Description: Give the account any name you'd like, such as Office 365.
- Email: -
- Select Next.
- Enter the following information (Email and Description should have auto-filled with the previously supplied information):
- Server: outlook.office365.com
- Password: Enter the password for your account being configured.
8. Click Done/Next.
9. You'll be directed to the enabled account applications page now. Choose what you'd like enabled. It is recommended that you enable all services.
10. Select Save.
11. Select the new account from your list of accounts. It will be listed according to the description you chose for it.
12. Select Mail Days to Sync and set it to No Limit if you would like all of the mail in your inbox to be synced to your device. The default time period is one week. Note: the more mail that is synced, the longer it may take to get all your messages on to the device.
13. Setup is complete. Email and calendar data (if enabled) are available in the appropriate apps.
Note: If your original WiscMail/WiscMail Plus account was configured on this device, use the following instructions to remove the account: Office 365 - iOS - Removing an email/calendar account.
Remember: the Global Address List (GAL) will only contain Office 365 accounts. Therefore, you may still need access to the Campus Directory (Whitepages) to find the person you are searching for.