This document outlines the Terms of Service for the UW-Madison Qualtrics Survey Hosting service.
Welcome to UW-Madison Qualtrics Hosting Service. We are excited to offer you this service, and hope that you will find it beneficial for use in your research and employment. As you log in for the first time, we want you to be aware of the rules of the road.
By logging in and using the Survey Hosting Service, you are agreeing to adhere to the following terms of service:
I. Appropriate Use
- Abide by the current Qualtrics Terms of Service.
- Abide by the terms of the Qualtrics Academic Subscription: An academic subscription (1) is restricted to academic research purposes of the academic Customer, (2) may be used only by students, staff, or faculty of the academic Customer, (3) is prohibited from commercial or other non- academic use, including, without limitation, use by or on behalf of any other institution or entity for compensation or where such institution or entity would otherwise purchase or use a non-academic subscription. For clarity, academic subscriptions may not be used by or on behalf of federal, state or local governmental entities other than the academic Customer.
- Follow the UW System guidelines for Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources.
- Protect the privacy and confidentiality of student, patient, employee and other institutional information, as required by FERPA (privacy of student information), and HIPAA (privacy of patient information).
- In accordance with federal regulations and UW-Madison polices, all research involving human subjects must be reviewed and approved by an Institutional Review Board prior to any research intervention with a participant. See Human Research Protection Program for details.
- Refrain from using surveys for the collection and/or distribution of restricted data. Please see Data Governance Data Classification for specific data definitions.
- Comply with all other applicable University policies, state and federal laws, including for example the federal copyright law.
II. System Use
The UW-Madison Survey Hosting Service is currently available only to active UW-Madison students, faculty and staff. Emeritus staff and Retirees with IT Services also retain access to the Survey Service. Alumni are not eligible for the service
- The Survey Hosting Service provides a survey creation and hosting environment.
- Before you delete a survey, please be sure to download your data to other media, such as a local hard drive CD-ROM, and/or flash drive.
- Before you leave the University, be sure to download copies of your data to other media, such as a local hard drive, CD-ROM, and/or flash drive.
- UW-Madison NetID administrators will verify your eligibility after each fall and spring semester begins. If you are no longer eligible for UW-Madison Survey Hosting Service at those times, you will be notified and your files will be deleted.
- You are responsible for the integrity of your survey data.
III. Privacy Statement
UW-Madison respects the legitimate interests of the UW-Madison Survey Hosting Service users within appropriate limits for educational, ethical and legal reasons.
- Administrators routinely monitor the volume of surveys and survey respondents for system management purposes.
- Usage may also be subject to security testing and monitoring.
- If the University receives a credible report that a violation has occurred, or if, in the course of managing the service, discovers evidence of a violation, then the matter will be referred for investigation, University disciplinary action, and/or criminal prosecution.
- Complaints that specific material violates the law or University policy should be reported to the Office of Cybersecurity.
- If you are employed by the University, you should be aware that any survey(s) you create or data that you collect or publish in the UW-Madison Qualtrics Survey Hosting Service may be subject to the Wisconsin Open Records Act. For more information see the Records Management site.