Administrative Removal of Preliminary or Final Lab Results
Process for administratively removing non-final lab results from patient charts, effective deletion. Blank lab report with context appears in Chart, result is not visible in Patient Portal (MyUHS).
Consult with HIM, Informatics, and when appropriate the ordering provider before taking any of the actions described.
Preliminary or Final
- Consult with Informatics before proceeding with the steps below so Informatics can identify root cause, and scope of the error
- Performing this action requires HIM approval and often requires that an incident report be filed
- Finalize, suppress, and delete the lab order
- Lab Specimens > Select order line > Results ^ Button < Edit Results
- Select result line
- Enter comment with reason for cancellation and include your initials at the end
- Select checkbox for 'Suppress' and 'Delete'
- Repeat for all results on the same order
- Select Apply then Build Report
- Order will appear as 'Final'
- Acknowledge the lab by adding a comment to the lab report
- All Results > Select report> Add Comment
- In Additional Comment describe the reason for cancellation with your initials at the end
- Hide lab result on Patient Portal (MyUHS)
- All Results > Select report > Hide result on Portal
- Check Hide result on portal
- Chose exception reason from the dropdown
- Enter Exception Details with your initials at the end