Topics Map > Majors and Degrees
Topics Map > Policies
Substantially Redirect a Degree/Major: Change Start Term, Add or Change Requirement for a Summer Term
Protocol established January 2017
Most degree/major programs at UW-Madison are structured so that students can complete them using courses offered in the fall and spring terms. Some highly structured, sequential programs will require that students begin in a specific term and follow requirements with a cohort. Adding or changing the requirement for a summer term to complete a degree/major or changing the start term of a cohort program are significant changes to the structure of a degree/major that impact academic planning and financial aid. These changes require school/college and university approval.
Information to Include in the Proposal
- Degree/major and named option (if applicable)
- Name and contact information for chair of the degree/major
- Primary contact person, if different, and their contact information
- Current start term and terms required to complete the degree/major (map courses to terms)
- Proposed start term and terms required to complete the degree/major (map courses to terms)
- Number of credits required to complete the degree/major
- Rationale for the change
- Effective term for the change
- Plan to communicate change to current and prospective students
Step 1. The proposed change in start term or requirement for a summer term is first approved by the program faculty.
Step 2. The proposal is approved by the dean, and may be approved as well by the school/college academic planning council.
Step 3. The dean’s office forwards the proposal to the Office of the Provost and Graduate School (graduate programs only) with a supporting cover memo from the dean to the provost, copy to the vice provost for academic planning and institutional research.
Step 4. The proposal will be subject to faculty approval through the Graduate Faculty Executive Committee (GFEC, graduate programs only) and the University Academic Planning Council (UAPC, automatic consent after approval at GFEC for graduate programs).