Change of Academic/Administrative Home for Academic Programs and Subjects*

Protocol established December 2016.

Redirect Notice

Academic Planning and Institutional Research (APIR) has created a new Policy KB Topic Library on its new APIR KnowledgeBase site. The content formerly housed on this KB has transitioned to the updated document(s). Please refer to this new academic policy library.

This new APIR KB site is replacing the former Courses and Academic Programs (aka, Vesta) site in a staged transition. (Note: The Lumen KB remains separate and active and is available from the Quick Link in the left navigation of the APIR KB site.) This new APIR KB will include documents related to academic program planning (degrees/majors, named options, certificates), courses, program review, and academic policy.

When new academic programs (degree/majors, named options, certificates, minors) or subject listings are established, the original approval documents associated the academic program with an academic unit. This link between the academic program or subject listing and the department/academic unit is critical to linking the academic activity back to the department that supports and oversees the academic activity.

The academic unit serves as the academic and administrative home of the program. For example the department/academic unit typically fills the following roles:

Because of the importance of the roles played by the academic/administrative home, records of any changes must be documented and approved through governance.

Academic programs and Subjects must be housed in academic units, that is, in units that have academic governance structures. Academic units should meet the standards of a department or department-like unit as defined in Faculty Policies and Procedures Chapter 5 and be housed within a school/college (FPP Ch 3). For exceptions, faculty must provide a robust rationale and establish a structure that has department-like features and supports the role of the academic/administrative home.

The Proposal

A proposal to change an academic/administrative home can be originated by the sending or receiving unit. Memos that document faculty governance votes at the department level and school/college level accompany the proposal or can be included in the approval notes in Lumen Programs. Any change to a plan or subplan will need to be done through Lumen Programs. Any changes to subjects of departments will need to be done through Lumen Structures.

The proposal includes the following information (prompted by questions in the proposal form):

If a change-of-academic-home is embedded in a larger restructuring proposal, information should be provided that covers these same points. In such cases, GFEC will approve graduate program change-of-academic-home in the context of the restructuring proposal.

Approval Process

  1. The faculty of the sending and the receiving unit will formally approve the proposal and forward the proposal to the dean’s offices via the Lumen system.
  2. Both the sending and the receiving dean’s offices will approve the proposal, using standard processes, usually by consideration at the school/college academic planning council
  3. The dean/dean’s designee forwards the proposal to the Provost’s Office with the assembled documentation. The Graduate School should be copied for graduate programs. Leadership usually comes from the receiving dean’s office.
  4. The Provost’s Office/Academic Planning, and the Graduate School when graduate programs are involved, will review the materials and schedule actions for consideration at the Graduate Faculty Executive Committee for graduate programs and University Academic Planning Council for all programs and Subjects.
  5. The Office of the Provost will distribute a formal notice to interested campus individuals involved in implementation.

Jocelyn Milner
Vice Provost and Director, Academic Planning and Institutional Research

References: Change of Academic/Administrative Home for Academic Programs and Subjects