National Historic Landmark Buildings at UW-Madison
The University is home to four National Historic Landmarks. This is the most prestigious historic honor a building can achieve. Only about 3% of buildings listed in the Register of Historic Places are National Historic Landmarks.
Armory and Gymnasium
716 Langdon Street
The Red Gym was originally built for military training and recreation activities. It is now home to the Multicultural Student Center, International Student Services, Center for Leadership and Involvement, Black Cultural Center, Morgridge Center for Public Service, and various other university offices. It was dedicated as a National Historic Landmark in 1993.
1050 Bascom Mall
Designed by architect John F. Rague, this was the first University building. Originally called North Dormitory, it housed the entire university for four years. It has been a National Historic Landmark since 1965.
1915 Linden Drive
The Dairy Barn was designed by J.T.W. Jennings and completed in 1897. It is still used by the Department of Animal Sciences. It became a National Historic Landmark in 2005 and is the only barn to achieve this honor.
550 N. Park St.
Science Hall was completed in December of 1887. It replaced the original that had burned in 1884. It became a National Historic Landmark in 1993. It now houses the state cartographer's office, the cartography laboratory, the geography department and the Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies.