Voice Mail (Centrex) - Checklist for Exiting Employee
This document contains procedures to aid in an orderly transition when mailbox ownership changes.
Voice Services is often asked to reset a voice mail security code and change the name associated with an existing voice mailbox as a result of staff turnover.
There are legal questions regarding privacy and confidentiality which prevent us from being able to reset a security code when the mailbox is listed in someone else's name. In these cases, the mailbox must be deleted and rebuilt, which can result in the loss of unheard messages.
We are able to change the name associated with a mailbox if the security code has not been lost. Therefore, we strongly recommend that any personal security codes be changed to a generic security code and communicated appropriately within the department before an employee leaves.
Voice mail checklist for an exiting employee:
- Change your personal voice mail security code to something generic.
- Make sure the new security code has been communicated appropriately within your department.
- Change voice mail email destinations as appropriate.
- Clear personal messages from voice mail.
- Forward all business-related messages to other staff.
- Re-record your personal greeting in a manner appropriate to the situation.
Once the new owner of the voice mailbox has been identified, changing the name on the mailbox, can be done easily if the security code is known.