Voice/Telephone Services (Centrex) - Forwarding Calls
Call Forward Variable (*116) is a feature that enables you to forward all incoming calls to a telephone number within or outside of the Centrex system. Please note these procedures do not work on any Cisco phone. The majority of UW-Madison uses Cisco telephones.
Enable Call Forwarding
- Lift telephone receiver and hear dial tone on the number you are forwarding.
- Dial *116, then
- Dial the number you are forwarding to:
- Dial 5 digits only if forwarding to a Centrex line.
- Dial 9 and 7 digits if forwarding to non-centrex local number.
- Dial 8 +1 and 10 digits if forwarding to a long distance number.
- Hear confirmation tones (series of beeps) followed by ringing or busy.
- If busy, hang up and restart this process a 2nd time. This will complete the process.
- If someone answers, or voice mail picks up, then this process is complete.
Note 1: If forwarding to a telephone without voice mail then the destination telephone will keep ringing until it is answered or the incoming caller disconnects.
Note 2: If forwarding to a cell phone, the cell phone must be answered to complete the forwarding.
Deactivating Call Forwarding
- Lift telephone receiver and hear dial tone.
- Dial *118, then
- Hear confirmation tones (series of beeps) before you hang up.
- Confirm forwarding has been removed by dialing the telephone number. It should ring at the normal location.
- Repeat if forwarding did not deactivate.