How to log into a computer using Global Protect to log in for the first time.
If you're a remote worker, you may be logging into a computer that is part of the UW's Active Directory system / domain for the first time, but the computer can not talk to campus to validate your username without 2 prerequisites.
- First, you need to join it to your own personal network.
- Plug the laptop into power and turn it on. It should boot and display the time and date.
- Press any key to bring up the login screen. (Where the computer requests the username / password of the operator.)
- At the login window, click on the wireless icon in the lower right - it looks like a quarter section of concentric circles and sign into your personal wireless.
- (If you're operating off of a wired connection, simply plugging in should establish the network connection.)
- Next, you need to sign into Global Protect
- From the login window, click on the Global Protect icon. It looks like a padlock and key.
- If it asks, enter the portal address - uwmadison.vpn.wisc.edu
- Next, enter your username and password. (This is your NetID and password associated with it.)
- Finally, to send a duo mobile push, enter a 1 in the final field. This will initiate a Duo push to your phone.
This should get you logging into the system though due to the remote nature of your login, it may take a bit longer than usual to fully log in.
From here, you should follow the instructions on First login on a new computer on initial setup and use of your new computer.