Research Email Service - Policies & Criteria
This page outlines the policies and criteria that must be followed in order to use the Research Email Service.
Policies and Procedures
Your Role and Ours
As a Research Email service customer, your responsibilities are minimal. We require only that you provide the content of the message, identify the target audience, and specify the date for mailing. DoIT then uses the most current email addresses on file for members of your intended audience and schedules your mailing.
In order to ensure your message is sent under the best possible circumstances, we ask that your place your Research Email service request at least 7 days before your desired mailing date.
Connecting You to Your Audience
The Research Email service handles the grunt work for you, acquiring the most accurate, official contact information of your audience.
Faculty & Staff: We use the email addresses on file with the Office of Human Resources (OHR).
Students: We use the email addresses on file with the Office of the Registrar.
The following requirements must be met in order to use the Research Email service. Please contact Research Email Administration if you have questions concerning these criteria.
- Sender must be UW-Madison faculty or staff.
- The content of your message must be relevant to at least one of the tenets of UW-Madison's mission: Teaching, Research, Public Service, or Student Involvement.
- Your message must comply with UW-Madison's policy governing the Responsible Use of Information Technology.
- Your message must be related to the programs or operations of the University. This can include ticket prices for UW-Madison events.
- Mass Emails cannot be sent for personal purposes or with the intention of personal gain.
- The subject line of your message must be descriptive.
- The body of your message must contain the sender's name and departmental affiliation.
- Your message must be submitted as a text or HTML document. Accepted file formats: MS Word (.doc/.docx), OpenOffice (.odt), Rich Text (.rtf), Plain Text (.txt), HTML (.html, .htm).
- Your Research Email request should be placed 7 days prior to your desired mailing date.
- If your message contains links, they should include the full URL (including "https://") to ensure your recipients will see a clickable link. It is also a good idea to enclose URLs in less-than and greater-than symbols to avoid problems with word wrapping (ex. <https://www.wisc.edu>).
- To increase the likelihood that your recipients actually read your email, you should keep the body of the message brief.
- If your message exceeds a few paragraphs in length, or if the content you want to send contains special formatting, we recommend creating a document with this information, hosting it on a cloud storage service like UW-Madison Box, and including a link to the document in your mass email.
- PROOFREAD! DoIT will not check your message for errors. It is your responsibility to ensure the content of your message is as your intend it to be.