WiscList - Migrate your main WiscList Main to Google Groups
Migrating your WiscList to Google Groups is now easier when using the migration button provided in the WiscList admin site. The migration process takes approximately 2 minutes to complete and your new Google Group is fully configured within 10 minutes. Follow the steps below to get started.
Migrate your main WiscList to Google Groups
Login into https://admin.lists.wisc.edu/ with your NetID credentials.
Select My Lists from the left menu.
Click on the WiscList you'd like to automatically migrate to Google Groups.
- Click on the Validate Email addresses button. This button will confirm that the email addresses in your WiscList exist and can be moved to your new Google Group.
The following email addresses will fail validation and will not migrate to your new Google Group:
- Alternate email addresses - refers to the scenario where one individual is a member of one WiscList using two email addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com. In this scenario, the firstname.lastname@example.org address will migrate but the email@example.com address will fail validation and not migrate.
- Invalid email address - refers to an email address that is not associated with a valid email service. If a WiscList member's email address is flagged as an "invalid email address", that member was not receiving emails that were to sent to the list
- Invalid UW-Madison G Suite email address - refers to a Google email address that is not in the UW-Madison G Suite tenant
- Deactivated UW-Madison G Suite accounts - refers to a user who left the university is no longer eligible for the UW-Madison G Suite service
If applicable, review the list of email addresses that failed validation and make corrections where needed to ensure all members are migrated to your new Google Group.
Note: If no action is taken on the email addresses that failed validation and the WiscList is migrated to a new Google Group, the email addresses that failed validation will be deleted during the migration and will not be recoverable. This may result in missing members in your new Google Group.
Click the Migrate List to Google Groups button.
After migrating your WiscList to your new Google Group, the formatting of your group's email address will change. Your original @lists.wisc.edu group will continue to receive email and will automatically forward those messages to your new Google Group indefinitely.
Example of group email address name change :
- Before migration: firstname.lastname@example.org
- After migration: email@example.com
Click on the Google Groups red text to start managing your new Google Group. You will be redirected to https://groups.google.com/ .
Note: Remember to be logged into your UW-Madison G Suite account, not your personal Google account, to start managing your new Google Group.
- UW-Madison G Suite - UW-Madison G Suite Accounts vs. Personal G Suite Accounts
- UW-Madison G Suite - Switching Between UW-Madison and Personal Google Accounts
As part of the migration process, the following settings will be automatically applied to your new Google Group during the migration:
- Assigned the same WiscList name.
- Assigned the same WiscList security/moderation settings.
- Exception: Individual moderation settings will not migrate (e.g., bypass moderation).
- Add the same administrators and members.
- Excludes: Email addresses that failed email validation in Step 4.
- Internal members: Their email address will be converted to their firstname.lastname@example.org address and continue to accept email to their alternate address.
- External members: Their email address will be added but their name will not be listed.
- Set WiscList admins to stop receiving email.
- Remove all members from the original WiscList.
- Set WiscList to "accept mail from anyone" and have the Google Group control who can send.
- Forward messages sent to WiscList to the new Google Group.
Once you are at https://groups.google.com/, you'll be introduced to your new Google Group. You can start managing your group right away.
Start using your new Google Group.
Click on the About tab to learn more about your Google Group
- Add members
- Assign/manage member permissions
- Moderate posts
- View and edit membership settings
- Google Groups Cheat Sheet
- UW-Madison G Suite - Getting Started with Google Groups
- Help Desk - Email list feature mapping for WiscList, Google Groups, and Office 365 Groups
Migrating multiple lists
If you have multiple WiscLists that you would like to migrate at the same time, please contact email@example.com to request a batch migration.
Consultation: If you still need assistance after reviewing the steps above or have questions about your group after the migration, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Technical Support: Please contact the DoIT Help Desk.