Topics Map > Directory Search
Directory Search (Mac) - Configuring Entourage 2004 for LDAP
This document describes how to configure Microsoft Entourage 2004 to access the campus LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) server for directory service information. This service can be used to lookup e-mail addresses based on names as they appear in the University Directory Search.
- Start Entourage 2004.
- Click on the Tools menu and select Accounts.
- In the "Accounts" window, click on the Directory Service tab.
- Click the New button.
- If the Account Setup Assistant appears, press the button labelled Configure account manually.
- On the "Edit Account" window, in the "Account Name" field, enter a descriptive name for the server, such as Directory Search.
- In the "LDAP Server" field, enter ldap.services.wisc.edu
- Click on the Options tab.
- Under the Options tab, in the field labelled "Search base", enter dc=wisc,dc=edu and click OK.
- If there is more then 1 Direcory Service listed, to ensure that the Directory Search server is correctly used, it should be made the default directory service. Choose The "Directory Search" (or whatever you called it above) in the list of Directory services that appears, and then click the Make Default button at the top to make this service appear bold in the list.
- Create a New Message by clicking the New button.
- A screen should appear to address the message, type the name of the person you are looking for, and click the Check Name button.
- One of four things will then happen:
- If no results are found, an error message will let you know nothing is found, consider broadening your search by removing letters from the search name.
- If only 1 match is returned, it should populate in the to field.
- If more then one result is returned you will be presented with a list, and must double click on the correct name for it to appear in the "To:" field.
- If too many results are returned, then an LDAP error message will appear with a description that reads, "Unable to display results because too many matches were found. To narrow the search, enter more specific criteria."
In this case you will need to enter more information about the person you are searching for, include their entire first name and as much of their last name as possible and try it again.