Topics Map > Embeds and Integrations
Topics Map > UW Theme Functionality
WiscWeb - Embedding RSS feeds
NOTE: For information on how to use a feed from UW-Madison News, be sure to also see the sample at the bottom of this page.
- Navigate to the page you'd like to add your RSS Feed to.
- Add in a Text Block
- In the Text Block, either in Visual or Text mode, paste in the following code:
[uw-rss-feed url="https://urlgoeshere.com" title="Title of RSS Feed" description="Description of RSS Feed" more-link="https://urlgoeshere.com" max-posts="x"]
- Change the URL text (between the two quotation marks) to be the URL of the RSS Feed. This URL will likely end in .rss or something similar.
- Change the Title text (between the two quotation marks) to the title that you want displayed above the RSS feed
- Change the Description text (between the two quotation marks) to a short description of what the RSS feed is and what kind of information it is pulling in.
- Change the More Link text (between the two quotation marks) to the URL of the main webpage where the feed can be found.
- Change the max-posts text (between the two quotation marks) to the number of articles you would like to display. We recommend no more than 10, but please note that the max-posts option has a maximum value of 15.
- Update your page when ready.
In some cases, when using a site that doesn't have a traditional .rss URL, you may need to add a /feed/ to the end of a URL. For example, when you are trying to use a news feed from UW-Madison News, you would first find the category or tag that you want to create a feed for.
Do this by clicking on a menu Category option, such as Science & Technology. Once you have that page loaded, http://news.wisc.edu/science-technology/, type in the word feed after the slash at the end of the URL (http://news.wisc.edu/science-technology/feed/) and hit enter. This will show some code on the screen, but you will copy the URL value.
You could also do the same for a tag. For example: http://news.wisc.edu/tag/science/feed/ for a news feed about articles that are tagged science.
This is the URL that you will use for a feed from UW-Madison News to display on your page, using the steps above.