Topics Map > Google Tools
Topics Map > UW Theme Functionality > Customizer
WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Adding Google Analytics To Your Site
Google Analytics is a service offered by Google that generates detailed statistics about a website's traffic and traffic sources. This document will walk you through the process of creating a Google Analytics account and adding it to your site.
- Navigate to Google Analytics
- If you have already created an account, click Sign in.
- It is recommended that you use an Office 365 Service (departmental) account for this purpose. For more information regarding Service Accounts, please refer to Office 365 - Getting Started with Service Accounts.
- You would use that account to sign in
- Once you have gone through your sign-up process and verified your account, you'll be directed to the starting steps for your Google Analytics. Click the Sign up button. The views and screens change often, so be sure to follow the on-screen steps set up your analytics account.
- The next page asks you to enter several pieces of information such as your site name and URL, the site category, and your time zone. You will also create an account name, and choose who this data can be shared with outside of yourself. Once you have entered this information, scroll to the bottom and click Get Tracking ID.
- You will be prompted to accept the Terms of Service Agreement from Google. Click I Accept.
- On the next page, you will be taken to the Tracking Code section of the property that you have set up. Here you are given the Tracking ID for your analytics - this is the value that you will need for your WordPress site.
- If you are using Google Analytics 4, to find the tracking code, navigate to Google Analytics Dashboard > Admin > Data Streams and select your data stream. Then copy the Measurement ID.
Once you have this value, log into your WordPress site's dashboard and either click on the Customize Your Site button, or mouse over the Appearance menu on the left and choose Customize.
In the left menu, choose Analytics. In the analytics screen, input your Tracking ID in the field, and click Save & Publish at the top of the screen.