WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Adding a User
This document describes the steps to follow when adding a user or requesting access to a WiscWeb WordPress site.
Please note that only administrators of the site can add new users. Users in other roles do not have this capability. Additionally, NetID is required for adding new users. If someone does not have a NetID, they will not be able to edit the WiscWeb site.
In this document:
If you are a website Administrator in WiscWeb, you can use the following steps to add a new user:
- Access the Dashboard for your site
- Hover your mouse over the Users section and then click on Add by NetID
- In the next screen, enter the user's NetID value and choose which user role you want to assign to them. Once you have that in, click Add User.
- Once the user is added, you will be brought back to your full users list. Note that the new user may be added with limited information initially, but this will automatically update when the user logs in for the first time.
- The user will need to log in by navigating to https://wiscweb.wisc.edu/wp-admin and authenticating with their username and password. After they've signed in, they will see your site in the "My Sites" list in the upper left of the screen.
If you are hoping to edit a WiscWeb site but do not yet have access, you can request access from an existing site Administrator:
- If you know there are others in your group who can edit the WiscWeb site, check and see if any of them can view the Users link when they are logged in:
- If they do see this option, they can add you to the site using the instructions above.
- If they do not see this option, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request access to the site. Please include your NetID and the URL of the website you wish to be added to.