Topics Map > Getting Started
Topics Map > Google Tools
Topics Map > UW Theme Functionality > Customizer
WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Adding Google Analytics to a Website Using Google Tag Manager
This document will provide step-by-step instructions for adding Google Analytics to a website using Google Tag Manager.
What is it?
Google Tag Manager is used to track events that users trigger when visiting your website. One of the things that can be tracked via Tag Manager is your Google Analytics. You can then use the Google Analytics trigger later on for other events (such as file downloads, link clicks, etc.).
Be sure to use an Office 365 Service Account to create your Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager accounts.
- In Google Tag Manager, navigate to your Workspace Tab.
- From your Workspace Tab, navigate to Tags and click the button labeled, New.
- Name your new tag something appropriate, like "GA Page Views", set the Tag Type to “Google Analytics - Universal Analytics," and the Track Type to "Page View."
- In the Google Analytics Settings drop down, click that and select "New Variable." Give this variable an appropriate name, like "GA Analytics Code" and enter your Google Analytics Tracking ID value into the Tracking ID field.
- You can find your UA Tracking ID under “Property Settings” in the Admin section of your Google Analytics account.