Topics Map > ATW
Topics Map > Tablet
EMBA iPad Initiative - Apple ID
Important information about Apple ID account. It is a requirement from Apple that all iPad, iPhone and Mac users create this type of account in order to set up their devices.
Home :: Knowing the hardware :: Setting up your device :: Working with applications :: Your online resources :: Your personal learning environment :: Getting help
What is an Apple ID and why do I need one?Your Apple ID is the account you use to access all Apple services — and you only need one to sign in everywhere in every Apple device you have.
It is a good practice to use your personal email, like a Google email to sign up for an Apple ID. You may need to connect personal devices to that ID and not want these to be tied to your work email account.
Do you already have an Apple ID?You only need one Apple ID to access all Apple services. Before you create a new Apple ID, consider whether it might be better to continue using one you already have. Remember that you might not be able to move data or purchases from an old Apple ID to a new one. If you aren't sure if you already have an Apple ID, we can help you find it. If your email address has changed, you can change the address you use for your current Apple ID to continue using it.
Create your Apple IDIf you don’t have one, you can create your Apple ID when you set up your new device.
Here's what you will need:
- A valid email address (we suggest you use a personal email address, rather than your @wisc.edu email) to use as your Apple ID username.
- A strong password.
- Your date of birth.
- Three security questions and answers to verify your identity and a rescue email address. You can also use this information to reset your password.
Sign in with your Apple IDUse the same Apple ID and password every time you're asked to sign in to an Apple device or service. With your Apple ID, you can:
- Sign in to iCloud to keep your personal content up to date on all your devices.
- Sign in to the iTunes, iBooks, and App Store to make purchases and access previous purchases.
- Sign in to iMessage and FaceTime with your Apple ID to talk and text with friends and family.
- Sign in with your Apple ID when you set up a new device.