EEMBA Tablet Initiative - VPN
This page will help you install the offered VPN, GLobalProtect.
Downloading the GlobalProtect Client on Windows
The GlobalProtect client can be downloaded in the following way:
- Navigate to https://uwmadison.vpn.wisc.edu/.
- Log in with your NetID and Password.
- Click on one of the links to download the version that
correlates with your operating system.
- If you are not sure which version of Windows you are running:
Windows Vista and 7:
Click on Start and then right-click on Computer. In the small menu that appears, click on Properties.
- Windows 8 and 10:
Move your cursor into the bottom left-hand corner of your screen and right-click on the windows icon (Start Menu). This opens the Windows Quick Access menu where you will want to select System.
A new window will appear with some information about your computer. Next to the System type entry, you will see if you have a 32-bit or a 64-bit operating system.
4. Proceed to installing the file once it has been downloaded.
Installing the GlobalProtect Client (Windows)
1. Open the downloaded file, and choose Run when prompted.
2. Press Next > to proceed through the installation.
3. When asked whether or not you want to allow the program to install software on your computer, choose Yes.
4. After following these instructions, GlobalProtect will be installed and ready for use.
Connecting with the GlobalProtect client
1. Open the GlobalProtect client.
Windows XP, Vista, and 7: Click on Start, Program Files (or All Programs) > GlobalProtect.
Windows 8, 8.1, and 10: Press the Windows key to open the Start Screen, then begin typing GlobalProtect until you see the program appear below the search field. Click on the program to launch it.
2. The VPN Client will start.
Type the following information below into the relevant fields:
- Portal: uwmadison.vpn.wisc.edu
- Username: NetID
- Password: NetID password
Note that it you use both WiscVPN and departmental VPN, only your most recent VPN connection will be remembered in the portal field for future connections.
3. Press Connect.
Disconnecting from GlobalProtect
- Opening GlobalProtect:
- On Windows, click on the Show hidden icons arrow
in the lower right corner if the GlobalProtect icon is not already
displaying in the system tray. Right click the icon.
3. You are now disconnected from GlobalProtect
Check out these articles to install GlobalProtect on other devices: