WSUM Sports Director
The WSUM Sports Director is an annual, paid student staff position at WSUM Student Radio. The Sports Director of WSUM maintains and improves all aspects of sports shows, the on-air and off-air presence of the radio station’s sports department (hereafter known as “sports department related matters”) according to its vision, mission and goals through the following responsibilities and duties. The Sports Director is accountable to the students who comprise WSUM, the Program Director, the Station Manager, the General Manager, and – ultimately – the Board of Regents.
- Promote WSUM philosophy and services through sports department-related matters;
- Assist Program Director and General Manager in ensuring the training process is of the highest quality and that all on-air personnel are trained;
- Oversee home and away broadcasts, as well as all content on the dedicated sports stream
- Monitor sports talk shows on WSUM to ensure they are of the highest quality.
- Develop and maintain connections with on-air sports personnel and all departments within WSUM to the extent that they have an impact on the sports department of WSUM;
- Maintain frequent interaction and communication with WSUM staff, directors/managers and committee members who affect sports department-related matters;
- Ensure WSUM Sports is well represented publicly, in terms of Twitter, the Sports Blog, Sports News Team, remote show broadcasts and promotions.
- Perform such other duties as are incumbent upon the Sports Director or as assigned by the Program Director, Station Manager, or General Manager.
- Serve as station representative to Athletic Department and Big Ten Network broadcasts.
STATION DUTIES AND OPERATIONS
- Actively participate in Student Management and All-Station meetings.
- Assist in the establishment, implementation and achievement of WSUM annual goals; the budgetary planning, implementation and the evaluation of WSUM on-air initiatives and programs.
- Serve as a member of the Student Management Board.
- Assist the Program Director in developing a wide range of on-air sports programming, training on-air sports personnel and be responsible for monitoring, maintaining and upgrading the quality of WSUM’s on-air sports product.
- Assist in developing and maintaining working relations with UW Athletics, the student government, the Department of Life Sciences Communication office and the Friends of Madison Student Radio.
- Assist in the annual review of WSUM organizational structure.
- Assist in actively promoting cultural diversity and integrity within WSUM and its departments.
- If asked by the Station Manager, assist in the recruitment and the selection of WSUM paid student staff.
- Uphold the WSUM By-laws and actively participate in the initiation, review and implementation of WSUM Station Manual as well as department policies and procedures.
- Recruit WSUM staff. Guide the sports team and monitor its progress.
- Carry out those duties assigned by General Manager and/or the Governance Board.
VALUES AND EXPECTATIONS OF THE POSITION
The Sports Director sets the standards for WSUM on-air sports staff. You are expected to set an example, be accessible, and to assist the Station Manager in leading the station forward by creating opportunities for involvement, resolving challenges as they arise, and assisting in strategic planning as to how WSUM can better meet its mission.
The Sports Director must be committed to WSUM’s core values as expressed in its Mission Statement. In summary:
- WSUM will act in a service and outreach capacity for the students of the University of Wisconsin-Madison and people of Madison and surrounding communities. The Sports Director shall support and assist the student staff in the development of strong ties to these communities.
- WSUM will provide an educational environment and valuable hands-on experience. The Sports Director will support the General Manager and Station Manager in efforts to establish curricular connections. Overall, the Sports Director will support the educational needs and goals of students in an environment where curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular student learning is valued.
- WSUM will also provide an alternative source of music and information programming to the campus and community. The Sports Director is expected to lead, encourage, empower and support the on-air staff in their efforts to offer alternatives to mainstream points of view as part of WSUM programming.
The WSUM Sports Director is an appointed position, at the discretion of the WSUM Governance Board. WSUM seeks candidates with on-air experience, leadership potential, co-curricular involvement and life experiences. The staff and management of WSUM subscribe to all applicable policies and procedures governing Equal Employment Opportunities. WSUM’s continuing policy is to afford equal opportunity to qualified individuals for employment and/or advancement regardless of race, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, ancestry, veteran or marital status, native language, political affiliation, or any other arbitrary factor that has no relevance to participation in station activities. In hiring, the station shall also conform to all other applicable laws and regulations. This policy of equal opportunity covers all aspects of employment.
The Sports Director position requires a significant time commitment. This position is not a grant or a fellowship; it is a management position that requires the staff person to be available for a variety of hours during the week, some at night and some on weekends. Being available to students is a critical element in the successful performance of the position’s responsibilities. Participation in all-station and student management meetings is required throughout the academic year. As a guideline, the Sports Director is expected to commit to approximately 10 hours per week, 40 weeks per year. During some weeks this person will experience greater demands on her/his time than others.
Applications are accepted the day after the Station Manager election. Sports Director candidates are interviewed by the incoming Station Manager and the Application Review Board. The selected candidate takes office as early as the last day of March.
PLEASE NOTE: This is in addition to the expectations laid out in the WSUM by-laws.