WSUM Creative Director
The WSUM Creative Director is an annual, paid student staff position at WSUM Student Radio. The Creative Director of WSUM maintains and improves all aspects of promoting WSUM according to its vision, mission and goals through the following responsibilities and duties. The Creative Director is accountable to the students who comprise WSUM, the Program Director, the Station Manager, the General Manager and – ultimately – the Board of Regents.
- Promote WSUM philosophy and services through on-air and off-air promotions;
- In coordination with the Station Manager, administer and direct all branding activities, especially the design and production of logos, banners, advertisement and other promotional items
- Develop and maintain connections with on-air personnel and all departments within WSUM to the extent that they have an impact on the creative department of WSUM;
- Maintain frequent interaction and communication with WSUM staff, directors/managers and committee members who affect creative department-related matters;
- Perform such other duties as are incumbent upon the Creative Director or as assigned by the Station Manager or General Manager;
- Assist and (as directed by the Station Manager or General Manager) oversee creative changes to the WSUM website
STATION DUTIES AND OPERATIONS
- Actively participate in Student Management and All-Station meetings.
- Assist in the establishment, implementation and achievement of WSUM annual goals; the budgetary planning, implementation and the evaluation of WSUM on-air initiatives and programs.
- Serve as a member of the Student Management Board.
- Assist in developing and maintaining working relations with the student government, the Department of Life Sciences Communication office and the Friends of Madison Student Radio.
- Assist in the annual review of WSUM organizational structure.
- Assist in actively promoting cultural diversity and integrity within WSUM and its departments.
- If asked by the Station Manager, assist in the recruitment and the selection of WSUM paid student staff.
- Uphold the WSUM By-laws and actively participate in the initiation, review and implementation of WSUM Station Manual as well as department policies and procedures.
- Recruit WSUM staff. Guide the creative team and monitor its progress.
- Carry out those duties assigned by General Manager and/or the Governance Board.
VALUES AND EXPECTATIONS OF THE POSITION
The Creative Director sets the standards for WSUM Creative staff. You are expected to set an example, be accessible, and to assist the Station Manager in leading the station forward by creating opportunities for involvement, resolving challenges as they arise, and assisting in strategic planning as to how WSUM can better meet its mission.
The Creative Director must be committed to WSUM’s core values as expressed in its Mission Statement. In summary:
- WSUM will act in a service and outreach capacity for the students of the University of Wisconsin-Madison and people of Madison and surrounding communities. The Creative Director shall support and assist the student staff in the development of strong ties to these communities.
- WSUM will provide an educational environment and valuable hands-on experience. The Creative Director will support the General Manager and Station Manager in efforts to establish curricular connections. Overall, the Creative Director will support the educational needs and goals of students in an environment where curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular student learning is valued.
- WSUM will also provide an alternative source of music and information programming to the campus and community. The Creative Director is expected to lead, encourage, empower and support the on-air staff in their efforts to promote alternatives to mainstream music and mainstream points of view that are part of WSUM programming.
The WSUM Creative Director is an appointed position, at the discretion of the WSUM Governance Board. WSUM seeks candidates with on-air experience, leadership potential, co-curricular involvement and life experiences. The staff and management of WSUM subscribe to all applicable policies and procedures governing Equal Employment Opportunities. WSUM’s continuing policy is to afford equal opportunity to qualified individuals for employment and/or advancement regardless of race, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, ancestry, veteran or marital status, native language, political affiliation, or any other arbitrary factor that has no relevance to participation in station activities. In hiring, the station shall also conform to all other applicable laws and regulations. This policy of equal opportunity covers all aspects of employment.
The Creative Director position requires a significant time commitment. This position is not a grant or a fellowship; it is a management position that requires the staff person to be available for a variety of hours during the week, some at night and some on weekends. Being available to students is a critical element in the successful performance of the position’s responsibilities. Participation in all-station and student management meetings is required throughout the calendar year. It is paid on a lump sum appointment basis. As a guideline, the Creative Director is expected to commit to approximately 10 hours per week, 48 weeks per year, with 8HR/Day limit. During some weeks this person will experience greater demands on their time than others.
Applications are accepted the day after the Station Manager election. Creative Director candidates are interviewed by the incoming Station Manager and the Application Review Board. The selected candidate takes office as early as the first day of January and no later than the Tuesday before the onset of Spring Semester classes.
PLEASE NOTE: This is in addition to the expectations laid out in the WSUM by-laws.