UW-Madison Box - Manage Account Storage Usage
This document provides recommendations on how to manage your account's storage usage.
Check account storage usage
Delete unwanted folders/files
Before deleting folders/files, please keep the following in mind:
- Review the University Record Retention Policy to ensure you comply with the university’s legal and compliance record keeping requirements.
- Make sure there are no resources referencing or pointing to the folders/files you are going to delete (ex: shared links published on a website).
- Links to deleted folders will break access and will no longer be accessible.
How to decide which folders/files to delete:
- View folders/files that you own and look for older folders that have not been modified recently.
- Filter folders based on the “size” and/or “date modified” options to view the largest folders when they were last modified. Learn more about search filters.
- View the size of individual folders.
- Verify your collaboration role before deleting a folder.
- Do not delete folders that you do not own. Check with the Owner first.
If your UW-Madison Box account's storage usage is full and you do not delete files/folders, you will not be able to create or upload new folders/files.
You will continue to have access to shared folders/files.
If you notice your account’s storage usage or folder size is not changing after deleting folders/files you are probably encountering a known issue with Box storage reporting. Box is aware of a bug that is causing account storage usage or file counts to display the wrong size. No data is lost due to this bug.
If you need help or have questions about your UW-Madison Box account’s storage usage, you can request a consultation.