UW-Madison Box - Manage account storage usage
This document provides recommendations on how to manage your account's storage usage.
- Manage storage
- Important note for accounts will full storage usage
- Known issue
- Request a consultation
Check account storage usage
- View your account's storage usage.
- View a project directory’s storage usage.
- Learn what data is counted towards your storage usage.
Delete unwanted folders/files
- Review the University Record Retention Policy to ensure you comply with the university’s legal and compliance recordkeeping requirements.
- Make sure there are no resources referencing or pointing to the folders/files you are going to delete (ex: shared links published on a website).
- Links to deleted folders will break access and will no longer be accessible.
Before deleting folders/files, please keep the following in mind:
- View folders/files that you own and look for older folders that have not been modified recently.
- Filter folders based on the “size” and/or “date modified” options to view the largest folders when they were last modified. Learn more about search filters.
- View the size of individual folders.
- Verify your collaboration role before deleting a folder.
- Do not delete folders that you do not own.
Below are tips on how to decide which folders/files to delete:
If your UW-Madison Box account's storage usage is full and you do not delete files/folders, you will not be able to create or upload new folders/files.
You will continue to have access to shared folders/files.
If you notice your account’s storage usage or folder size is not changing after deleting folders/files, please contact the DoIT Help Desk to have the issue fixed. Box is aware of a bug that is causing account storage usage or file counts to display the wrong size.
If you need help or have questions about your UW-Madison Box account’s storage usage, you can request a consultation.