DoIT Departmental Support - Windows OS Deployment - Deploying Windows
Pre-boot environment driver support
DoIT Departmental Support periodically updates our Windows OS Deployment Media to provide additional features as well as driver support for an ever wider range of systems. However, the current version of the media may not always contain network driver support for the latest model systems. If you receive a network connection error before the deployment process itself has started, see our Common Issues page for troubleshooting steps.
Windows Deployment Instructions
- Boot to the Windows Imaging Toolkit from a flash drive
- Instructions on obtaining a bootable flash drive are available in the DoIT Departmental Support - Windows OS Deployment - Obtaining Deployment Media document. Once you have a flash drive press a key to get to the boot menu on the workstation and select the USB device from the boot menu. Booting from a Windows imaging flash drive will work on ANY UW-Madison network.
- Log in with your NetID and password
- Choose the workflow you will use to image the computer
- Before proceeding, wipe the disk you will be using. Failing to do so may cause errors.
- Choose an Operating System
- Use your credentials to join the computer to AD. If you pre-staged the machine in Active Directory make sure you enter that name here.
- Select software
- Wait for it to finish! The computer will restart a few times as a part of this process
- Having Issues?
- For workarounds and solutions to common issues please visit our Common Issues page