WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Using Document Pages
This document will walk you through adding documents (.pdf, .doc, etc.) to your site using the Document Page menu.
The Document Page in the left hand column of your main WordPress administrator screen allows you to create pages for specific documents, as well as categorize them.
The intent is to showcase a specific document (e.g. project charter, department mission statement) or set of Document Types (e.g. meeting minutes) for easy download or linking. When there is not a need to showcase or categorize, you can always just add documents as links in Text Blocks: WiscWeb - WordPress UW Theme - Text Block Page Element
How to add a Document Page to your Site
- In the main WordPress menu in the left hand column, select Document Page.
- At the top of the Document Page screen, select Add New. You can also select Add New link below the Document Page menu in the left column.
- You will be presented with the Add New Document Page screen. You will have the following options:
- Title: A title that will appear above the document and description..
- Document Summary: Enter a summary for the document.
- Document: Click Add File to add the document.
- Text Block: A place to enter all of the information you want to include about the document. It has the same options as the standard Text Block Page Element.
- Excerpt: Details incoming.
- In the right hand column, choose a Document Type (if necessary). For a description of Document Types, see the instructions below.
- Click Publish to save the changes.
Using Document Types
Document Types allow you to categorize your Document Pages and use those Document Types to control what displays on any given page. For example, if you wanted a page with meeting minutes, you could create Document Pages with those meeting minute documents, add the Document Type "meeting minutes" to all of them, and then add the Document Type "meeting minutes" to a menu and all of those meeting minutes would display on one page. See (link to doc) for an example.
Categories are an option listed for Document Pages, but we do not recommend you use them. Please use the Document Types, as they fulfill the same purpose as Categories for Document Pages and are more thoroughly tested.